Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor XPEL Ultimate saves Model S door from repaint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, all of you know that wrapping the vehicle is one of the most prudent steps one can take against rock chips, scuffs, and the occasional door dings.

We had the pleasure of doing the initial XPEL Front end install, nano coating, and window tint about a year ago, and almost 3 months ago client opted to wrap entire car as well.

Well, about a month ago the inevitable happened:

Someone opened their door into the rear passenger door and broke through the film AND dented the door. And they also were kind enough to flee the scene.

IMG_4933-web900.jpg

IMG_4934-web.jpg

Once we peeled back the film, there was a small paint transfer, but the paint itself was perfect. A little polishing, and proper dent removal, and viola....good as new

IMG_5340-web900.jpg

Since this was our Advanced installation, we had to remove door handle to wrap film...we've gotten very efficient at this since we do it so often

IMG_5341-web900.jpg

Custom install, one large piece of film, and hand-trimmed for precise fit

IMG_5343-web900.jpg

IMG_5346-web900.jpg

All put back together, better than service center when they replaced the door handle a few months ago ;)

IMG_5347-web900.jpg

Complete and CQuartz Finest applied to fresh film to protect it and match the rest of exterior

IMG_5350-web900.jpg

IMG_5351-web900.jpg

If this job had to be sent to body shop, front door and rear 1/4 panel may have needed blending. Repaint, so no more original paint. A week or two for repairs...and probably $1500-2500 depending on scope of work.

We saved the client well over 50-70% and got his car back to him same day and kept the paint original.

Excellent value IMHO.

Last edited:
Moe, maybe I'm wrong here... but it seems like the time, effort, cost of materials, and reapplication of the Xpel is still a lengthy and costly process. The material must be around $300, the time to take all of the trim off, reapply... is the cost to repair that door with new Xpel really less than $1000? I also imagine that in some cases, the damage will penetrate that Xpel to damage both materials (e.g., a door ding, or something a little more impactful). I understand covering the hood and front area just due to the number of impacts the car will take over time... just reduces the amount of damage. But doors on the other hand seem like if they take damage, it might be a little more impactful and require both to be fixed. I'm always fearful that Xpel on areas like the door is only going to lead me to replacing the Xpel, and fixing a door. Therefore, you have a $1000 Xpel cost and a $1500-2500 door fix cost. In fact, that impact looks like it penetrated the Xpel easily... did it really protect? Thoughts on this? Not attacking, just looking for some thoughtful insight. Clearly you work with the material and cars exponentially more than I do, and I would like your honest feedback on this logic.

Moe, maybe I'm wrong here... but it seems like the time, effort, cost of materials, and reapplication of the Xpel is still a lengthy and costly process. The material must be around $300, the time to take all of the trim off, reapply... is the cost to repair that door with new Xpel really less than $1000? I also imagine that in some cases, the damage will penetrate that Xpel to damage both materials (e.g., a door ding, or something a little more impactful). I understand covering the hood and front area just due to the number of impacts the car will take over time... just reduces the amount of damage. But doors on the other hand seem like if they take damage, it might be a little more impactful and require both to be fixed. I'm always fearful that Xpel on areas like the door is only going to lead me to replacing the Xpel, and fixing a door. Therefore, you have a $1000 Xpel cost and a $1500-2500 door fix cost. In fact, that impact looks like it penetrated the Xpel easily... did it really protect? Thoughts on this? Not attacking, just looking for some thoughtful insight. Clearly you work with the material and cars exponentially more than I do, and I would like your honest feedback on this logic.

Excellent points.

We have an installation level, Moderate, that is a step down from the work we did on this MS...it doesn't require us to remove door handle, and saves time and $$.

To do all the work on this door, the total bill came to $575 and $65 for our modified Phase 1 service because I'm OCD and cannot send out a car dirtier than it came in...so $640 total

The first picture I actually took it AFTER I peeled the nick in the XPEL to see if it had penetrated the film. As you can see, it did penetrate, but the paint did not chip. Initially, when I saw the damage, I got more concerned with what I had to deal with, and when I peeled back the film, in first photo, I thought it would make a great thread...hence the photos afterwards.

Honestly, it's a toss-up whether to wrap entire car, or just the front end. In the case of this Tesla, it paid off big time. Think of it as an insurance policy. You'll be glad you have it when you do.

So, in this case, XPEL did in fact do it's job and protect the door.

Hope that clarifies.

I had my whole car wrapped with XPEL. Can't tell you how much security this gives me. I drive 2000 highway miles a month which has a lot of semi's and construction. There is a"flesh" wound on the XPEL on my driver’s side from what might have been a rock. A few small spots on the hood as expected.
One day I came upon a large dump truck rather quickly. It was too late by the time I realized the dump truck had small pebbles showering the highway. My car got pelted all over the place. I cringed for a little while but knew XPEL was protecting the car.
Also very helpful if you have little kids. Never know when they will graze the car with toys or a bike.
Well worth it IMHO.

Moe and Vip, thanks both for your insights and thoughts on this. The reason that I'm asking is I've been considering Xpel'ing the doors and and rear fenders. I currently have my entire front wrapped and the rest opticoated. The CA weather and my life so far here in the Bay is so mild that the majority of these things are not an issue. However, I may be moving to the East Coast soon and having been a native of there... the weather is much more harsh with salt and ****** parking.

Vip: do you have a custom Xpel install or pre-cut on your doors? Moe, I know you're die hard on a custom Xpel wrap, I already know your opinion ;)

Moe and Vip, thanks both for your insights and thoughts on this. The reason that I'm asking is I've been considering Xpel'ing the doors and and rear fenders. I currently have my entire front wrapped and the rest opticoated. The CA weather and my life so far here in the Bay is so mild that the majority of these things are not an issue. However, I may be moving to the East Coast soon and having been a native of there... the weather is much more harsh with salt and ****** parking.

Vip: do you have a custom Xpel install or pre-cut on your doors? Moe, I know you're die hard on a custom Xpel wrap, I already know your opinion ;)

There are guys that can do a pre-cut with extended edges that'll wrap around edges of the door. I'm just not a huge fan of the pre-cut that comes short of the edges...you're asking for dirt and debris to get caught on the exposed adhesive edge, and that means eventually redoing it. Not great value IMHO.

Even at our studio, we offer a few options based on client needs and budget.

Hi all! I am in the process on applying XPEL Ultimate to the entire front and hood of my MS. My brother is skeptical maybe even paranoid that over time and when it is time to replace the film, say 7-8 years down the road that peeling it off will cause damage to the finish of the car. In his words 'wouldn't it get baked on in the hot sun over time'. I explained the product and assured him that is not the case.

Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated to further educate me, as well as provide me with piece of mind? Thanks in advance!

gnychis, I am not sure about my install. I was not offered a choice. If I had to guess by recalling my conversation about a year ago I think it was pre-cut.
I do have to agree with Moe in that you don't want the edges exposed where they will pick up dirt. Luckily I have a black car thus would blend in. I recently bought a red roadster and it has the Tesla factory clear bra installed. Not too happy with the way it looks. It partially covers the hood and a lot exposed edges that accumulate dirt. Very noticeable on the red. Will most likely get this removed and have the whole front hood and fenders covered.

gnychis, I am not sure about my install. I was not offered a choice. If I had to guess by recalling my conversation about a year ago I think it was pre-cut.
I do have to agree with Moe in that you don't want the edges exposed where they will pick up dirt. Luckily I have a black car thus would blend in. I recently bought a red roadster and it has the Tesla factory clear bra installed. Not too happy with the way it looks. It partially covers the hood and a lot exposed edges that accumulate dirt. Very noticeable on the red. Will most likely get this removed and have the whole front hood and fenders covered.

I'm sorry to hear you were never offered that option. I hear it a lot when I meet up with clients at events and they see our work. They feel cheated out of something. Whenever you're looking into getting the clear bra, please ask the right questions first from your potential installer. I cannot tell you how often people call us and just say "I want XPEL clear bra for my XXXX, how much do you charge"? I know by hearing that, this person is just calling around and wants the cheapest.

Consumers should be asking:

1. How long have you been doing this?
2. What films do you use, and why?
3. Walk me through your installation process.
4. What is your warranty?
5. Have you done any cars like mine? if so, how many?
6. What issues arise during installation relating to MY car? How do you address them?
7. What does the installation include?
8. Are there different installation levels? If so, why?
8. What does it cost?

IMHO, these questions are what a smart buyer who's more focused on VALUE should ask. You'll find, just by asking these series of questions, you can eliminate a lot of shops that are only in it to make a buck. There will always be a match for a client looking for cheapest install and an installer willing to provide that service. But, our focus is on educating the consumer and let the CONSUMER decide who's the best fit. You may find, spending a few $$ more, may yield you a dramatic end result. Trust me, I know ;)

I've had my p85+ for almost 2 months now and can definitely vouch for the xpel. My car came with the paint armor but I changed to full hood coverage and front with Moe. In hindsight I kind of wished I wrapped the side doors and rear quarter panel as well. Depending on how you drive and where you live, xpel might be a consideration. I'm here in southern california land of multiple freeways with many gravel trucks and other trucks/cars at highway speeds. Couple that together with your driving style and I can tell you from practical experience that I've had one small chip already on driver door that didn't break paint but also one chip just above my driver rear wheel well which did chip off the paint. So it's kind of up to you and what you can live with or touch up. In my case, I like the added protection and piece of mind and not having worry about every chip or scratch from debris and other things.

As as far as my install and nano coating with Moe at Glistening Perfection, all I can say is attention to detail and perfection. Moe really strives to have your car looking better than showroom after leaving his shop. He pointed out 2 tiny areas where maybe dust particle got trapped under Xpel and has made arrangements for me to come back for a redo. Keep in mind this is something I didn't even notice but that he brought up when I picked up my car. It's refreshing to see someone take such pride in his work and with the integrity to make sure things are right and perfect.

Reactions: JusTheGreat
My Xpel saga.

First, took delivery of my P85+ with Tesla Paint Armor. That was the only option I ordered that I regretted. (I ordered every other option.) Decided instead that I wanted to Opti Coat the car first, THEN apply Xpel. The guy who did the Opti Coat also showed me that the Tesla Paint Armor was not installed well. :-( And I came to realize that the coverage of the Tesla Paint Armor wasn't so great. So... at least three reasons why I wouldn't order Tesla Paint Armor again.

After Opti Coat application, I took the car to Wheel DynamiX in Natick, MA. They applied Xpel to the front of the car and the edges of the doors. We agreed on this particular approach because (a) I wanted to minimize cost and (b) I was worried about parking lots.

That round of Xpel bailed me out of what could have been very expensive repairs to the front of my car when I nosed into an old, crusty snow bank. A deep gouge in the nose cone required replacing the entire nose cone ($450, but despite a lengthy argument, Tesla Watertown Service Center *refused* to charge me for labor). The damage to the paintwork and body panels of the front of the car turned out to be limited to the Xpel itself. I didn't have to touch the body panels! Based on a scrape I had done myself, earlier, to the right rear side of the car -- where I had cheaped out and not put any Xpel!, and which cost me $1700 in body work -- I would have been looking *at least* at $2000 of body work that would have been required to repair the front. Instead, installation of a new panel of Xpel cost me maybe $200 or $300 (I don't have the invoice handy).

So I went back to Wheel DynamiX to finish getting Xpel *everywhere* on the car. Rear panels, roof line, whatever.

Then, one day, I scraped a wheel against a curb. I have Alloy Gators on the wheels to help protect against that kind of problem, as my wife doesn't take "rashing" as seriously as I do. Certainly, I took it upon myself to do quite the serious scrape. :) Anyway, turns out that in the process of defending the wheel, the Alloy Gator broke and part of it was whipped around and around by the wheel, leaving a number of frightening scratches on the car. Ouch!

Wheel DynamiX inspected the damage, figured out that it was from the Alloy Gator (and not, say, from an unknown event involving my wife), and then polished and buffed the Xpel. All the damage was **gone**. At least two body panels were involved -- likely $3000+ in repairs based on my prior experience.

So I'm reasonably confident in asserting that Xpel has saved me on the order of $5K+. Keep in mind that it's an aluminum car, and the body shops that do this kind of work are expensive. I spent maybe $5K on putting Xpel on the *entire* car. I probably could have had it done cheaper somewhere else, but I think Wheel DynamiX does excellent work.

I am also very comfortable recommending Wheel DynamiX in Natick, MA!

Alan

interesting. where are you located?

Aliso Viejo...out of respect for the forum rules, please PM me if you'd like further information.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had my p85+ for almost 2 months now and can definitely vouch for the xpel. My car came with the paint armor but I changed to full hood coverage and front with Moe. In hindsight I kind of wished I wrapped the side doors and rear quarter panel as well. Depending on how you drive and where you live, xpel might be a consideration. I'm here in southern california land of multiple freeways with many gravel trucks and other trucks/cars at highway speeds. Couple that together with your driving style and I can tell you from practical experience that I've had one small chip already on driver door that didn't break paint but also one chip just above my driver rear wheel well which did chip off the paint. So it's kind of up to you and what you can live with or touch up. In my case, I like the added protection and piece of mind and not having worry about every chip or scratch from debris and other things.

As as far as my install and nano coating with Moe at Glistening Perfection, all I can say is attention to detail and perfection. Moe really strives to have your car looking better than showroom after leaving his shop. He pointed out 2 tiny areas where maybe dust particle got trapped under Xpel and has made arrangements for me to come back for a redo. Keep in mind this is something I didn't even notice but that he brought up when I picked up my car. It's refreshing to see someone take such pride in his work and with the integrity to make sure things are right and perfect.

Greatly appreciate the kind words, and more importantly, the opportunity to work on your MS. Also appreciate your patience in having us redo the hood since it did not meet our strict standards. It doesn't happen too often, but if there are flaws that I notice, even though client will never notice, it has our GP name on it and I'd rather you find out from us. I think it's working out for the best...hopefully this thread further helps you make your decision of wrapping the doors and the rear bumper. Look forward to seeing you next week :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all! I am in the process on applying XPEL Ultimate to the entire front and hood of my MS. My brother is skeptical maybe even paranoid that over time and when it is time to replace the film, say 7-8 years down the road that peeling it off will cause damage to the finish of the car. In his words 'wouldn't it get baked on in the hot sun over time'. I explained the product and assured him that is not the case.

Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated to further educate me, as well as provide me with piece of mind? Thanks in advance!

However your finish is now, it will be "frozen" in time and when you remove the film down the road, it will look no different than it does before you wrapped it.

The material we have currently, is very advanced and XPEL is a brand you can trust; their customer service is second to none.

Just make sure you choose the best installer you can afford and see their work before committing to them.

And don't forget to ask the right questions ;)

- - - Updated - - -

My Xpel saga.

First, took delivery of my P85+ with Tesla Paint Armor. That was the only option I ordered that I regretted. (I ordered every other option.) Decided instead that I wanted to Opti Coat the car first, THEN apply Xpel. The guy who did the Opti Coat also showed me that the Tesla Paint Armor was not installed well. :-( And I came to realize that the coverage of the Tesla Paint Armor wasn't so great. So... at least three reasons why I wouldn't order Tesla Paint Armor again.

After Opti Coat application, I took the car to Wheel DynamiX in Natick, MA. They applied Xpel to the front of the car and the edges of the doors. We agreed on this particular approach because (a) I wanted to minimize cost and (b) I was worried about parking lots.

That round of Xpel bailed me out of what could have been very expensive repairs to the front of my car when I nosed into an old, crusty snow bank. A deep gouge in the nose cone required replacing the entire nose cone ($450, but despite a lengthy argument, Tesla Watertown Service Center *refused* to charge me for labor). The damage to the paintwork and body panels of the front of the car turned out to be limited to the Xpel itself. I didn't have to touch the body panels! Based on a scrape I had done myself, earlier, to the right rear side of the car -- where I had cheaped out and not put any Xpel!, and which cost me $1700 in body work -- I would have been looking *at least* at $2000 of body work that would have been required to repair the front. Instead, installation of a new panel of Xpel cost me maybe $200 or $300 (I don't have the invoice handy).

So I went back to Wheel DynamiX to finish getting Xpel *everywhere* on the car. Rear panels, roof line, whatever.

Then, one day, I scraped a wheel against a curb. I have Alloy Gators on the wheels to help protect against that kind of problem, as my wife doesn't take "rashing" as seriously as I do. Certainly, I took it upon myself to do quite the serious scrape. :) Anyway, turns out that in the process of defending the wheel, the Alloy Gator broke and part of it was whipped around and around by the wheel, leaving a number of frightening scratches on the car. Ouch!

Wheel DynamiX inspected the damage, figured out that it was from the Alloy Gator (and not, say, from an unknown event involving my wife), and then polished and buffed the Xpel. All the damage was **gone**. At least two body panels were involved -- likely $3000+ in repairs based on my prior experience.

So I'm reasonably confident in asserting that Xpel has saved me on the order of $5K+. Keep in mind that it's an aluminum car, and the body shops that do this kind of work are expensive. I spent maybe $5K on putting Xpel on the *entire* car. I probably could have had it done cheaper somewhere else, but I think Wheel DynamiX does excellent work.

I am also very comfortable recommending Wheel DynamiX in Natick, MA!

Alan

Great story Alan!

Hi I'm new to the forum. I am bordering on hysterics when it comes to parking lots and rocks and debris from the road. I know I cannot protect my baby from everything but want to do as much as I can.

Any high recommendations for installers in Houston? Your experience? I am considering an Xpel Ultimate full car wrap on my 2015 Tesla Model S. May need minor paint correction. Thank you in advance for your help.

Bella's Helicopter Mum

Hi I'm new to the forum. I am bordering on hysterics when it comes to parking lots and rocks and debris from the road. I know I cannot protect my baby from everything but want to do as much as I can.

Any high recommendations for installers in Houston? Your experience? I am considering an Xpel Ultimate full car wrap on my 2015 Tesla Model S. May need minor paint correction. Thank you in advance for your help.

Bella's Helicopter Mum

A little late to respond...try using the XPEL locator to find a shop near you. Then research that installer and stop by their shop to get a feeling if he/she is the right installer based on your needs/expectations