Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Superchargers roll out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone advise me what's happening to the roll out if superchargers outside if London please? I understood that a few motorway services would get them, then I herd that Ecotricty has an injunction on tesla to stop them deploying ATM.

I regularly checkout the tesla web page that shows where the plans are for the various time periods but I have noticed that these change too. Eg for months Manchester and Birmingham were both due, Birmingham actually comes online in a city center that's not useful for the majority of users passing by, then Edinburgh pops up as planned from nowhere.

Superchargers shows work is underway at a Birmingham motorway service station, but then zero permits are yet granted for anywhere else.

@tesla quote from the movie "Fields of Glory" ------- "If you build them, they will come."

Can anyone advise me what's happening to the roll out if superchargers outside if London please? I understood that a few motorway services would get them, then I herd that Ecotricty has an injunction on tesla to stop them deploying ATM.

I regularly checkout the tesla web page that shows where the plans are for the various time periods but I have noticed that these change too. Eg for months Manchester and Birmingham were both due, Birmingham actually comes online in a city center that's not useful for the majority of users passing by, then Edinburgh pops up as planned from nowhere.

Superchargers shows work is underway at a Birmingham motorway service station, but then zero permits are yet granted for anywhere else.

@tesla quote from the movie "Fields of Glory" ------- "If you build them, they will come."

Actually the quote is "If you build it, he will come" and it's from Field of Dreams but let's not get into movie trivia or we'll be here all day :)

Tesla's rollout of superchargers on the motorway network has clearly been significantly derailed by their spat with Ecotricity. So far we really don't know anything about what's going on there.

The city centre superchargers are a separate strand of their strategy for the UK and aren't a replacement for the ones at motorway locations. At the launch event Elon talked about the need for inner city superchargers in the UK (unlike in the US) because we have so many houses with no off-street parking.

There are half-completed superchargers at South Mimms and Hopwood Park.

Ultimately Tesla will have to resolve their stalemate with Ecotricity (highly likely sooner or later) or look for sites that are near to motorway junctions but not at motorway services.

There is definitely a supercharger being installed in the car park at Westfield London. Green Park in Reading is just a rumour as far as I know.

Oh, and they're opening a service centre in Crawley, which looks reasonably likely to have a supercharger on site.

I wonder why Tesla haven't gone for the near but off Motorway services, I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of options which are more like the US locations. Looking at the planned site at Burtonwood in Warrington on the opposite side of the motorway (on the land where the other side of the services once were) there's a Travel Lodge, Starbucks, Harvester and something else with a large car park.

Just as reasonable are the on-junction services (hotel and pub) on the M6 J21, M6 J22 a farm shop with coffee shop (OK not ideal, but a local small business would probably be interested with off-motorway custom) - they are relatively close to the M62/M6 junction that they could service the same travellers without much inconvenience and probably less inconvenient than the M6 to M62 diversion suggested.

I strongly suspect that they are looking at near-but-off-motorway locations. It's just that it will take months to identify sites, negotiate and contract with the owners, negotiate with council planning departments, arrange easements over land through which power needs to be routed, contract electricity suppliers, coordinate installers and finally actually install the superchargers. The spat with ecotricity kicked off in May, and they probably didn't realise how big an obstacle it was going to be for a further month. If it takes 6 months to go right through the process then it will be Christmas before we see alternative sites going live.

They were listed out, I think at the first delivery event there was a thread here and photos of the information shown at the time. Although the link below says "guessing" so I could I have imagined the specifics.

Supercharger Locations UK - Page 9

The detailed locations are just that poster's guesses. He even says at the end of his message "Those are my guesses, I look forward to seeing some other options/responses."

Oh, and they're opening a service centre in Crawley, which looks reasonably likely to have a supercharger on site.

I work not too far from there (Gatwick) and i took a drive round the other day to see what was going on and took a few pictures. This site used to be a BMW showroom, There was no evidence of supercharger installations but i think it is too early in the rebuild yet to see properly.
The site is about 3 miles away from the southern end of the M23 (Pease Pottage).
As work continues i will go past every so often to see progress.
tesla crawley.jpg