Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Holland to Portugal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy to be a new Model S owner. The car will be ready in The Netherlands in December.
I'm planning to drive it straight to Portugal as all transport companies I've contacted are asking me for 2000+ to ship it to Lisbon.

My question: is there any easy way (website/app) where I can calculate needed charging stops taking in account Supercharger locations?
Where can I know which hotels are prepared to charge my car?

(there are no super chargers in Spain and Portugal).

Any help appreciated as I'm new to all this.

Hi Dirkou,

I've just had a look at PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car! and it certainly looks possible - the only difficult bit will be between Narbonne (the last of the SCs in France) and wherever you need to get to in Portugal. This assumes you can use ChaDeMo chargers. Is there a ChaDeMo adapter available for EU spec MS' yet? I know the US versions have one - $1k or so... Otherwise charging on the 3 phase AC is going to be fairly slow, even if you have dual chargers on board.

There are other EV charging facilities web site out there eg openchargemap and you will notice that they all differ from each other depending on who has been updating what. So you will have to look at as may as you can find. Also speak to the main players like Nissan dealers etc. You will almost certainly find rapid chargers by ringing round that do not feature on any of the above 2 maps. If you do find some, please add them to the map - my preferred one is Plugshare as it is easier to use - especially when on the move.

I'm sure other forum users will have their own preferred, local charging map web sites.

I don't think hotels have quite woken up to the EV thing yet so you would have to ring them and ask - I guess ones that do have charging facilities would also have taken the trouble to put themselves on the map... but which one? Again, perhaps local EVers will be able to help here.

A few links...

Electric Vehicle Charging Station

hoteles donde se puede cargar su coche electrico / vehiculo electrico / VE - España

BBC - Radio 4 - Electric Ride - Electric Ride Map

I'm sure with some googling of your own you will find plenty more.

Please let us know how your trip progresses as I'm hoping to buy an S next year and plan a Grand European EV Tour in 2016/17 in it (after I retire!)

Regards, Martin Winlow.

Last edited: