Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S or BMW 740LDXdrive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are on the wrong forum for an unbiased opinion.:smile:

I have to believe that you're astute enough to know that. Which, to me, means that you really want the Model S and you're just here collecting reinforcing opinions to compel you to do what you know is right!

the sticker price may be similar, but the model S will be significantly less expensive in the long run. So far the model S has a high resale and the cost of electricity will be a big savings over gas. I am 6'-4" and the leg room is very good in the model S. The model S will be much more impressive to your friends.

Well when i drive .. i normally have my seat all the way back .. so the family behind need leg room ..

Unless the passenger behind you is over 6 ft. They will have plenty of leg room. And if they don't they can sit on the right side of the back seats.

I don't see how that is an issue compared to the multitude of other compelling reasons to buy the S. Seriously?

Internal combustion engines are so last century. It's 2014!

From a totally biased driver, of course...I was spending $500+ per month in gas. That's all gone now. And while I think BMWs are completely awesome, the Model S P85+ (well, any of them will) will kick that poor guy to the curb. If you have power at the house and reasonable remote charging abilities, I can't think of an argument for an ICE vehicle any more. Just wait, gas powered cars will be yesterday's news before we all know it. Not just for cost, but for the rock we live on.

But isn't it nice to have such a hard decision make?

Last edited:
Noooo....don't do it. That car just plain sucks, I had one for a year (a fully kitted out 750 LI) and it was the least loved of all my automobile possessions ever.

IMG00033-20091018-1954.jpg
IMG00036-20091018-1955.jpg

That's mine on delivery day - it was all downhill from there. Awful turbo lag, knocking suspension, too many gimmicky options (my fault for speccing them all), an iDrive interface that was so unintuitive that it forced me to stop on the highway just to help my rear passengers to watch a DVD, a dealership unable or unwilling to deal with the issues, and worst of all RUN FLAT TIRES - harsh, noisy, fragile, and expensive.

Last edited:
Go to the BMW Users group and see what they say. If there is any doubt expressed you will have a better sense of the direction of advice. If you just want legroom in the back, then a Lexus LS460L has enough for a basketball player in the rear seat (not the regular 460.)

I'm 6'2" and found the back of a Model S (with pano, which increases head room) more comfortable than most cars, even with the seat pushed fairly far back.

Sorry that I must disagree. I think the MS is quite uncomfortable in the back, especially due to the "high floor" (i.e. your legs are always bend).

HOWEVER, I would never ever want to drive anything else than the MS. It all depends on what is important for a person. If the passengers are more important that the drivers joy AND if you even THINK about not getting an MS AFTER test driving it, you should not get one.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 6'2" and found the back of a Model S (with pano, which increases head room) more comfortable than most cars, even with the seat pushed fairly far back.

Sorry that I must disagree. I think the MS is quite uncomfortable in the back, especially due to the "high floor" (i.e. your legs are always bend).

HOWEVER, I would never ever want to drive anything else than the MS. It all depends on what is important for a person. If the passengers are more important that the drivers joy AND if you even THINK about not getting an MS AFTER test driving it, you should not get one.