Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got an Alignment done, WOW it was super out of wack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, rotated my tires, went WTF when i saw the tire wear, decided to get an alignment

iKwSj5z.png

I highly recommend the shop above, that guy KNOWS what hes doing, hes basically seen every type of suspension setup known to man kind.

Tesla definitely copied some German engineering for the suspension, but Hank (the tech) said it was kind of a mix of all of them.

Tesla definitely copied some German engineering for the suspension, but Hank (the tech) said it was kind of a mix of all of them.

Huibert Mees is the head of chassis design for Tesla. Prior to that he had a major role in the Ford GT program. From his LinkedIn page:

March 2002 – April 2005 (3 years 2 months)

Supervisor for all Design and Release activities on chassis systems on the Ford GT program including front and rear suspension, steering system, braking systems, pedal systems and spaceframe.

So does this car eat tires in place of drinking gas? What's up with this? Not worth factoring in a gas savings on a purchase if this is the case .

any car will eat tires if the wheels are out of alignment, if you get one, i would do an alignment right away and forget about the factory values, use 0° toe for the front, and 0.1° total for the rear (0.05 on each side),

the thing is, gasoline is still way more expensive as every 2 weeks is the same cost as 1 tire, and the tires that i have should last me 2 years.

with the alignment back to 0° F/ 0.1°R the tires should last maybe 3 years.

Last edited:
My car ate up the original 19s in 10,000 miles. Alignment was fine, according to Tesla. The wear pattern did not appear abnormal.

Why does this happen? I have read this repeatedly.
why do the 21" wear so quickly? Are they only available in soft compounds? Are there all seasons available in 21"? There are plenty of heavy high performance vehicles that have tires that last 40,000 Kms.

I prefer the look of the 21" and do not want to swap to winter tires if possible.

i have been driving a heavy 500 ft lbs torque AMG with all seasons for 5 winters. Not ideal but it works.

i am considering the P85+.

Last edited:
Same problem on a MS Dec2016 delivered. Right out of the delivery room, pulls to the right. One month to get a service appointment, and there for five days. Get it back and then it pulled to the left as much as it had been to the right. Two weeks later service picks it up from my driveway, and five days later drops it of at the office. Alignment is now much better and hard to tell its pulling either way in 1/2 mile at highway speed.