Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors Roadster Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, they are rotating drivers, which means drivers will have to travel on their own. Kinda kills the whole "zero gasoline" thing. Would have been a lot cooler to have a team of 6 - 8 cars travelling from LA to Detroit with same drivers. The locations of plugging in can be worked out ahead of time at hotels or camp sites. Tesla cross country promotional tour.

IMHO: It only counts if they don't take a generator or support trailer.

All the towns on the way should have somewhere to charge, and I imagine there will be an advance team scoping out charging locations. But they won't risk sending the car out without a support vehicle as getting stranded somewhere in the middle due to a dry solder joint would be bad PR.
The longest and most difficult day will be Day 7 - December 23 which has a distance of - 313 miles. That is the same distance achieved by Simon Hacket in Australia recently.
They should rug up, as just like Simon didn't use AC in 41 deg C heat they won't be able to use heating on that day if they want to achieve the distance on a single charge.
Current temp in San Antonio is 6 deg C.

Last edited:
Whoa! They're stopping over in Springfield, MO and looks like they're taking a layover day here too! I'm gonna offer them a place to stay...though I'll be sleeping all day on the 1st since I work New Years Eve night and the night of the 1st. This could be my first chance to actually see a Tesla.

I think it's interesting that they're encouraging themselves to get it dirty and drive it in challenging conditions.

If their driving works out like my early experiences, and they do really drive on some rutted, dirt roads and in slushy and cold conditions, they will:

a) see damage from rocks being launched into the front edges of the panels behind the tires
b) experience the TC modulating the regen and then dropping out and giving up in the bumps
c) find that they cannot charge or drive the vehicle if OAT drops below 0F.

Having lived for some time in pleasant, boring California weather, I understand why they do not have much experience with these extrema. I just think it will be entertaining, especially if marketing does not prevent them from sharing any challenges they experience along the way.

When we did RenewAmericaRoadtrip the idea was to bring this high tech ev solution to people that might not otherwise know it existed. That was fine but the same old questions came out; how far can it go? What happens..... I think that they must push on to off road driving or track days and at least through bad weather. Porsche pride themselves on being the supercar that you wipe the snow off the bonnet and get on with, I think the same of the Tesla.

Anything else risks just shining a light on the fact that the only real challenge was finding an outlet & that just adds fuel to the BEV ditractors so, let's see it forging rivers and cresting mountain passes.

I've finally seen a Roadster, three actually, in the carbon fiber.

They stopped at the Shops at Legacy in Plano, TX between 1pm and 3pm today. I took a long, late lunch and drove up there.

28-12-09_1417.jpg

There were two locally owned Roadster 1s there in addition to #750.

I put up more pictures on a Picasa web album.

Sorry about the quality. You go to gawk with the camera you have, not the camera you wish you had.