Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi disconnects after 40 seconds. FW 5.12 bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the roll-out of v6.0 (and it's non-appearance here at my house) I did check a few times if the car was connected to my network as I had noticed it was on 3G every time I got in the car. Spent some time checking everything this morning, rebooted car, deleted connection, reinstalled connection, energy saving mode on, energy saving mode off, tried different hardware (I have a WiFi extension access point in my garage so tried with a Cisco range extender and with a Netgear one) but always came back with the same result:

Model S connects to WiFi most times automatically (but not every time even when the set-up is consistent) and signal strength is always at maximum about 6' from the front of the car, but even when it connects it holds the WiFi signal for exactly 40 seconds and then switches back to 3G. I don't think this happened before v5.12 so it may be a bug in that firmware? I'll be contacting Tesla service this afternoon but wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Last edited:
I actually noticed that the other day when 6.0 first came out, I got in the car to see if I received the update and noticed it was connected to 3g instead of wifi. I can manually connect to wifi and browsing is noticeably faster that way but I started noticing every time I got in the car that it was connected to 3g instead of wifi. I'm not sure about the 60 seconds, I haven't sat there to see if it times out like that, but it certainly is never connected to wifi when I go to drive somewhere.

I'm also running 5.12. Oddly enough I had 5.13 then I got an update notification and thought it was 6.0, was really excited until I saw it had actually downgraded to 5.12. From reading around in here it seems like the upgrade path requires 5.12->6.0 so that must be why. Now my fingers are crossed I get 6.0 soon so I can join in on that thread :)

With the roll-out of v6.0 (and it's non-appearance here at my house) I did check a few times if the car was connected to my network as I had noticed it was on 3G every time I got in the car. Spent some time checking everything this morning, rebooted car, deleted connection, reinstalled connection, energy saving mode on, energy saving mode off, tried different hardware (I have a WiFi extension access point in my garage so tried with a Cisco range extender and with a Netgear one) but always came back with the same result:

Model S connects to WiFi most times automatically (but not every time even when the set-up is consistent) and signal strength is always at maximum about 6' from the front of the car, but even when it connects it holds the WiFi signal for 60 seconds and then switches back to 3G. I don't think this happened before v5.12 so it may be a bug in that firmware? I'll be contacting Tesla service this afternoon but wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I have had a few issues with 5.12 and I'm hoping I get 6.0 soon.

1) Wifi issues with continually asking me to connect even if its already connected and similarly it disconnects when it feels like it
2) Multiple reboots of the center screen in a row. If I ever rebooted myself it would reboot twice afterwards on its own
3) Navigation has me 20-30 meters either side of a freeway, randomly. It just seems to lose GPS consistently. It used to actually have me going in the wrong direction and then on my second iteration of 5.12 the compass was fixed but it still loses my position.

Roll on 6.0 - still waiting.

OK, seems I'm not the only one. The catch here is that if the car won't stay connected to WiFi we're probably not going to get v6.0 anytime soon. :frown:

I used a stopwatch several times and it's consistently 40 seconds which suggests that it's something specific and not random. Called Tesla and they are looking into it, will call me back as soon as they have some news.

OK, seems I'm not the only one. The catch here is that if the car won't stay connected to WiFi we're probably not going to get v6.0 anytime soon. :frown:

I used a stopwatch several times and it's consistently 40 seconds which suggests that it's something specific and not random. Called Tesla and they are looking into it, will call me back as soon as they have some news.

From what I have read many have received the update on 3G so I don't think you need to be on Wifi.

From what I have read many have received the update on 3G so I don't think you need to be on Wifi.

This is what I understand, as well. In my case, while in the garage my MS bounces between 0 and 1 bar of 3g so it's unlikely I'll get it while at home unless over wifi. Not sure how much the car downloads while off the charger (not at home), how long the download takes or how well it recovers from transmission errors (like 3g drop-outs). These factors, and apparently others like whether the moon is waxing or waning, the tide is rising or falling, et cetera, will determine when I get the update :p

I'll try that again right away. Did you have a FW version number for that bug confirmation?

I experienced with 5.11. Ownership referred my inquiry to Chicago SC, who called me same day. They had just helped another customer with same problem, which is why they had ready fix. I do not know what firmware other customer had... supposedly this fixed it for them as well. Good luck! PS, just got "lucky" alarm clock today, SOMETHING is installing as we speak.

Does that fix maintain a persistent Wifi connection with sleep mode enabled? My car always falls back to 3G but I assumed it had to do with sleep mode.

I doubt it does keep a persistent WiFi connection while it is sleeping, any suggestions on how I could tell??? Interesting question is whether it re-connects to known WiFi network immediately upon waking. It should, just as it does when I pull into garage. I set the "sleep only at night" option, so will check to see if I am WiFi connected upon waking in AM.

Tried Tomas' suggestion but now I can't connect at all. If I try to add via the settings screen I get a spinning circle and finally the advice window that I should "Check the WiFi network name" which is really odd because the car recognizes the network at the top of the screen. So tried to join the network just by tapping the network name identified in the top drop-down menu and once more get the spinning circle which eventually times out on the password screen with a "failure to recognize password" message. Rinse & repeat twice, same result every time.

Haven't heard back from Tesla yet, it's not a critical issue but is kind of annoying.

I thought it was just me... I got an update weeks ago, but just started having the issue where it asks me to set up a wifi connection while I'm connected to my home WiFi! I'll try the forget and reset sometime tomorrow. I'm taking it in to Service Thursday for an issue with the rear passenger window so if that doesn't work I'll add it to the list!

@Nigel - Yep, I've had the password rejected a couple of times on 5.12. Oddly, I'll come back to the car and see that it connected to wifi with the error message overlaid on the screen. If this bug is holding us back from getting 6.0 then I might escalate it from just being an annoyance.

I have had a few issues with 5.12 and I'm hoping I get 6.0 soon.

1) Wifi issues with continually asking me to connect even if its already connected and similarly it disconnects when it feels like it
2) Multiple reboots of the center screen in a row. If I ever rebooted myself it would reboot twice afterwards on its own
3) Navigation has me 20-30 meters either side of a freeway, randomly. It just seems to lose GPS consistently. It used to actually have me going in the wrong direction and then on my second iteration of 5.12 the compass was fixed but it still loses my position.

Roll on 6.0 - still waiting.

I get the same as you for #2, I'm on version 5.12 (1.64.38) and it will reboot a second time on it's own, when I reboot the center screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried Tomas' suggestion but now I can't connect at all.

Hi NigelM,

You probably tried to manually add the network by adding it by hand?

I just installed an old EnGenius ENS202 AP, 5 feet above the cars, and now I can get all the WIFI bars. Even still the AP shows a -50 dBm reading, at 5 feet!

@Nigel - Yep, I've had the password rejected a couple of times on 5.12. Oddly, I'll come back to the car and see that it connected to wifi with the error message overlaid on the screen. If this bug is holding us back from getting 6.0 then I might escalate it from just being an annoyance.
I've kept awake on wifi so as not to delay 6.0. However when 6.0 arrived it was while my car was parked at golf course for 4 hours with 3G. There is no evidence of a wifi only push. To the contrary, seems most get it 3G.