Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging with trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question might be better in the Model S forum but I'll ask it here first. Has anyone used a Supercharger location with a trailer attached? Would anyone who has used a Supercharger care to speculate if it could be done easily? Do you think one would have to disconnect a trailer first before charging? Is there any room at a Supercharger to pull up and charge without any backing up? I've visited one but did not see how a car with a trailer attached could use it.

Thanks for your replies!

This question might be better in the Model S forum but I'll ask it here first. Has anyone used a Supercharger location with a trailer attached? Would anyone who has used a Supercharger care to speculate if it could be done easily? Do you think one would have to disconnect a trailer first before charging? Is there any room at a Supercharger to pull up and charge without any backing up? I've visited one but did not see how a car with a trailer attached could use it.

Thanks for your replies!

Some allow you to pull through, others (especially in cold weather states where snow is a possibility) are designed to back in. I think you'd be ok in some situations, but should be prepared to unhook if required. If you're going to block multiple bays.. please stay in your car and be ready to move to accommodate others.

Here's a good topic to check out: Please don't do this...(park blocking multiple Supercharger spots)

- - - Updated - - -

Great minds think alike, Bonnie! ;)

Spent the better part of this summer hauling a trailer behind MS. Many SCs provide a single 'head in' stall off to the side. If you curve your way into these then the trailer is at an angle which does not block the avenue as much.

On the strip/linear SCs if you swoop in from left to right, again cutting hard right as you approach the furthest arch, you will be blocking the fewest arches with the trailer.

And then there's Cheyenne with all 4 arches 'head in' style.

As you can guess I've only had to disconnect trailer a small percentage of visits. But do install a crank-up jack on your trailer tongue to make this easy.
--

Thanks to all comments so far. Looks like it's can be done, unhooking the trailer when needed. It's going to be a small inconvenience. I drove by the Ft Myers SC and noted that they all were back in, short cords, and one "handicap" spot. One would probably have to unhook any trailer there.

JG

If I was pulling a trailer and needed to recharge, I would just back the trailer into a regular parking space, drop it, and move my car over to the SC. I'm sure that in a lot of locations, you could just take the charger on the end and back in next to your trailer. It might be inconvenient, but it beats going to the gas station.

I e-mailed Tesla about this. Their response:
"Thank you for your email. Model X and trailer maneuvering are certainly being taken into account by our team. We strive to make the charging experience as seamless as possible.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and support of Tesla and our Supercharger technology."

Hey Jheth, that's encouraging. A positive response from TM about towing with the MX! Like others I'm eagerly waiting for more details on towing, both towing the Model X behind a Motorhome and towing a trailer behind the X.

Thanks for posting.

The whole trailer at the super-charger would be a heck of a lot less of an issue if there were just a charging port at the front of the vehicle instead of the back.
That won't solve anything, are you saying that the trailer should then block the right-of-way for everyone else, by having the trailer jut out of the designated parking slot?
The only proper solution would be to have one stall at the SC's in a extended lane/parking spot that can accommodate a long vehicle (car with a trailer). The slot I envision would have the charge on the side, not the head or tail of the parking slot.