Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Active Louvre Mesh Grille

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I'd toss this out. We live in the country and bugs (grasshoppers) go right in when louvres open and end up on the condenser. Used some hex aluminum mesh grille material (Ebay, and many other places to get it) and bordered it with smallest wiper fluid hose to cover the sharp edges (there are better ways to cover edge). I did it to keep out bugs, but now I have grown to like the look. It tones down the chrome in the vents.

grille-mesh.jpg

almost forgot to mention how I attached it (also many better ways to do it), I used 2 wire ties, top left and bottom right to go around the chrome strip.

How good is it keeping out the grasshoppers?

Excellent - our are big (it's Texas, remember :)
Most bounce off with some residue left, some hit with enough for to impale a little into the mesh, but carwash sprayer get them off easy.

It is better than the OEM middle grille, opening is too large and many get in there, very hard to get them out. Have to use sprayer to blow them back out (well the pieces).
Thinking of putting the mesh on there also.

The ones that hit bumper cover/nosecone are another matter, lots of elbow grease...