Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nosecone and garage door sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tonight when I backed in my car
I did not back in as far as I normally do
And closed the garage door
Got out and noticed how close the garage door came to my car front so I decided to adjust the height of the sensors to the height of the nosecone being that it sticks out pretty far and to my shock he car was invisible, it looks like the nosecone can pass infrared signals so I had to adjust my sensors on the garage door deeper in to the car for them to see it

Tonight when I backed in my car
I did not back in as far as I normally do
And closed the garage door
Got out and noticed how close the garage door came to my car front so I decided to adjust the height of the sensors to the height of the nosecone being that it sticks out pretty far and to my shock he car was invisible, it looks like the nosecone can pass infrared signals so I had to adjust my sensors on the garage door deeper in to the car for them to see it
What is actually happening, is due to the fact the nose cone is so glossy, the infrared light is reflecting off and still making contact with the sensor.

I solved this problem with a Garage Laser Parking Accessory/Sensor. Its nothing more than a red LED light that shines from one wall across to the other. Normally this is mounted on the ceiling and points down with a light that you can adjust to where you want it to shine on the car such as the dash or hood. This marks your location so you know when to stop.

I took one and mounted it at nosecone height on a garage side wall in a corner that I can not see. I plugged the power adapter in and shined the red light across in front of the nosecone to the far wall corner that I can see. So now when I back into my garage, the beam comes on and stays on while I back in. Once I have back in just a bit more than necessary for the door to clear the nosecone, the red light shows up on the far wall. Now I know to stop.

But I also have another of these lights on the ceiling as a back up. When I know I am at the right spot, I see the red light shine on my dash. These lights are less than $20 on Amazon.

I solved this problem with a Garage Laser Parking Accessory/Sensor. Its nothing more than a red LED light that shines from one wall across to the other. Normally this is mounted on the ceiling and points down with a light that you can adjust to where you want it to shine on the car such as the dash or hood. This marks your location so you know when to stop.

I took one and mounted it at nosecone height on a garage side wall in a corner that I can not see. I plugged the power adapter in and shined the red light across in front of the nosecone to the far wall corner that I can see. So now when I back into my garage, the beam comes on and stays on while I back in. Once I have back in just a bit more than necessary for the door to clear the nosecone, the red light shows up on the far wall. Now I know to stop.

But I also have another of these lights on the ceiling as a back up. When I know I am at the right spot, I see the red light shine on my dash. These lights are less than $20 on Amazon.

And for about a tenth of a cent, a two inch piece of blue masking tape, or a bit of electrical tape, stuck to the garage floor does the same thing. You back in. You see the tape in the rear view camera monitor. When tape image shows at edge of bumper, you are there. Adjust as necessary by moving tape or installing new. If you want it more permanent, make a hole in a piece of cardboard and use spray paint. Very accurate. Also works the same going nose in, by putting tape where garage door comes down. Drive in forward til you see tape. You are 5 inches in front of the door.
Batteries not needed.

And for about a tenth of a cent, a two inch piece of blue masking tape, or a bit of electrical tape, stuck to the garage floor does the same thing. You back in. You see the tape in the rear view camera monitor. When tape image shows at edge of bumper, you are there. Adjust as necessary by moving tape or installing new. If you want it more permanent, make a hole in a piece of cardboard and use spray paint. Very accurate. Also works the same going nose in, by putting tape where garage door comes down. Drive in forward til you see tape. You are 5 inches in front of the door.
Batteries not needed.

Yeah, but what's the fun in doing it the cheap way? :biggrin: