Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Income Cap for Vehicle Rebate (SB 1275)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks.
Here's the relevant text (from section 44258.4(c)(3)):
"No later than June 30, 2015, adopt revisions to the criteria
and other requirements for the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project,
established pursuant to Section 44274, to ensure the following:
(A) Rebate levels can be phased down in increments based on
cumulative sales levels as determined by the state board.
(B) Eligibility is limited based on income.
(C) Consideration of the conversion to prequalification and
point-of-sale rebates or other methods to increase participation
rates."

FYI, it's been voted so it's no longer a proposal.

While I'll be cut out of a rebate on my MX (assuming this is in place), I still support it. There are vastly more buyers in the sub-$340k/yr range who will be motivated by the incentive than those above. Incentives work most effectively when they're meaningful to the participant. I know plenty of people who can't afford an EV but would like one. I believe this helps bridge that gap.

- - - Updated - - -

Retired persons can easily have more than $48k/year in passive income.

I found this, which provides more detail - I don't know if this is going to be the basis for the expanded program or not:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/efmp_plus_up.pdf

It appears that to qualify, you must reside in a zip code that includes a disadvantaged census tract. This is a roundabout way of excluding self-employed but high net worth individuals, I am supposing.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world we now live in where those who are successful are demonized and sucked dry so that those who aren't can feel special. Some of you might think that's over the line but I'm getting every increasingly tired of this mentality. While none of these changes directly affect me, $2500 is what I'd get today and our income is below the $340K threshold, that isn't the point. Increasingly you're seeing people use the word "fair"... I feel like we're all now paying a price for an entire generation who grew up in the age where everyone gets a trophy and there are no winners and losers so to speak so now that generation is trying to apply that mentality to the real world...

Okay I'll shut up now...

Jeff

Trying to keep this on topic, I'll merely address your non-incentive comments by saying the statistics on the income gap as well as historical data regarding progressive tax rates disagree that "the world we now live in" is sucking the wealthy dry.

As far as the incentive goes, incentives are an economic tool used to elicit a desired outcome (as least by the measure of the incentive provider). They are most effective when they are meaningful. This has nothing to do with demonizing wealthy people (who may or may not be successful), but instead is a way to get the most back on the investment. I look at it like this - I'd rather forego a rebate and still buy my EV knowing that it increases the chance that 1-2 more people will be driving an EV because of the program. That's win-win in my eyes.

Trying to keep this on topic, I'll merely address your non-incentive comments by saying the statistics on the income gap as well as historical data regarding progressive tax rates disagree that "the world we now live in" is sucking the wealthy dry.

As far as the incentive goes, incentives are an economic tool used to elicit a desired outcome (as least by the measure of the incentive provider). They are most effective when they are meaningful. This has nothing to do with demonizing wealthy people (who may or may not be successful), but instead is a way to get the most back on the investment. I look at it like this - I'd rather forego a rebate and still buy my EV knowing that it increases the chance that 1-2 more people will be driving an EV because of the program. That's win-win in my eyes.

I agree, I went off topic and I respect your opinion on the matter and as such will not continue to push my viewpoint any further.

Thanks,
Jeff