Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Delivery Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My scheduled delivery has been twice delayed. The DS has offered to do the delivery, when it does come, at home, which is about 45 minutes from the Service Center. I've accepted his offer but remain conflicted. On the one hand it will certainly be convenient to have the car brought to me (on a trailer) and that way my 14-50 install can be checked, but it seems should any little minor thing not be just right, it could be dealt with immediately at the center. If I do find anything, like a door misaligned, software glitch, etc, they'll have to take the car back. Any suggestions based on experience, good or bad?

45 minutes isn't that far. The 14-50 is a pretty standard plug/install. Id go to the DS just for the experience, meet the people, see other colors etc. If you're hours away thats one thing but 45 mins i'd go there. FWIW my DS is 50 mins (without traffic) from where I live and I went there.

45 minutes isn't that far. The 14-50 is a pretty standard plug/install. Id go to the DS just for the experience, meet the people, see other colors etc. If you're hours away thats one thing but 45 mins i'd go there. FWIW my DS is 50 mins (without traffic) from where I live and I went there.
Thanks for your insight. I've been to my DS several times, once to change my order to include dual chargers and the wheels, and once to see the center console. It's like a sightseeing excursion, for sure. I'm leaning toward delivery there now.
BTW enjoy your blog.

Thanks for your insight. I've been to my DS several times, once to change my order to include dual chargers and the wheels, and once to see the center console. It's like a sightseeing excursion, for sure. I'm leaning toward delivery there now.
BTW enjoy your blog.

Thanks! If my DS wasn't in a hard location traffic-wise i'd be over there more often for things like the tire repair kit etc but I ordered it online. Boston traffic stinks! (looking forward to 6.0 helping me route around it if possible but that may be too much even for rocket scientists)

I know not all service centers do everything the same...but the way most of them work is that if you see something that needs to be adjusted...unless it's extremely minor they'll schedule a time for you to bring your car back and call it a "due bill" and then fix anything and everything at one time. For us my husband and I had already been to our delivery center in Seattle a couple times to pick up a couple things prior to picking up our car and looked around and. Even met our DS so that being said if your DS is actually going to be there to bring your car to you on the day of you aren't really missing out on anything by not picking it up at the SC other than the actual drive. Remember your car is at the SC like 4-5 days before you even get it in your hands for them to touch up anything that happens to it during shopping for them to detail etc...so ideally if your SC is good and they are all pretty good by now you could save yourself the trip....and get the grin from your garage!

I know not all service centers do everything the same...but the way most of them work is that if you see something that needs to be adjusted...unless it's extremely minor they'll schedule a time for you to bring your car back and call it a "due bill" and then fix anything and everything at one time. For us my husband and I had already been to our delivery center in Seattle a couple times to pick up a couple things prior to picking up our car and looked around and. Even met our DS so that being said if your DS is actually going to be there to bring your car to you on the day of you aren't really missing out on anything by not picking it up at the SC other than the actual drive. Remember your car is at the SC like 4-5 days before you even get it in your hands for them to touch up anything that happens to it during shopping for them to detail etc...so ideally if your SC is good and they are all pretty good by now you could save yourself the trip....and get the grin from your garage!
I hadn't considered the things you pointed out, and yes, my DS will be handling the delivery personally. I'll be off in the car as soon as he's done anyway, enjoying the new ride, so getting it at home makes sense, and I can be sure the Homelink is configured properly too.