Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Jacob Lake, Page, or Kanab

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family often drives from the Phoenix area to Salt Lake City, but we hate going through Vegas. In our ICE we've always gone through Flagstaff -> Jacob Lake or Page -> Kanab -> Beaver. I for one would love to see a HPWC in Jacob Lake, or even a supercharger in Page or Kanab. Am I the only one here? I've reached out to the people at Jacob Lake Inn and tried to convince them to contact Tesla about a HPWC, but if there isn't much demand beyond myself I guess it wouldn't make much sense.

Am I the only one who drives that route?

I drive that route for work a couple of times a year and I would love to be able to essentially take US89 instead of going through Las Vegas. In fact, I was in rural Utah last week and I was just checking the maps to see if it's doable in a Model S. I don't have my Model S yet but I do have my order in and should have it by the next time I need to drive that way (April-ish).

My family often drives from the Phoenix area to Salt Lake City, but we hate going through Vegas. In our ICE we've always gone through Flagstaff -> Jacob Lake or Page -> Kanab -> Beaver. I for one would love to see a HPWC in Jacob Lake, or even a supercharger in Page or Kanab. Am I the only one here? I've reached out to the people at Jacob Lake Inn and tried to convince them to contact Tesla about a HPWC, but if there isn't much demand beyond myself I guess it wouldn't make much sense.

Does Jacob Lake Inn have any other kind of charging available for Model S - 240V or even 120V? I am looking for a charging place around there or Kanab to be able to go from St. George to North Rim and back.

I'm not aware of any charging currently available at Jacob Lake Inn, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. The more of us that ask for it, the more likely they are to get something installed.

I just called. They said they contacted Tesla, but Tesla said that their volume wasn't high enough to install something there. I wonder if there is a confusion about HPWC vs. Supercharger. I urged them to install a NEMA 14-50. They seem motivated enough to call Tesla, so I few more calls may nudge them into installing a 14-50 outlet.

There's a decent chance the Jacob Lake Inn people were confused. I originally told them to ask Tesla about a Supercharger there knowing it would be a long shot. When I found out about the destination charging program I emailed them again to tell them about that. It wouldn't surprise me if they only asked about the Supercharger.

Alternatively, I drive this route often enough I'd be willing to pitch in some money to get a HPWC for Jacob Lake if they pay for the electricity ... dunno if that's something they'd consider or if enough other people would be interested to help out.