Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger instal at storage facility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to use my Tesla to mainly drive to/from my public storage unit. I have a parking space I rent there where I keep a commercial van I use for one of my businesses. I plan to park my Tesla there about 4-6 hours/day while I use the van to run around.

Can anyone share success story getting a public storage facility to instal or allow instal of a charging station? I'd love to hear pointers, talking points, and general advice as to how you convinced them.

Thanks

That's what I figured. I did ask about it earlier when I was at my storage and they said it might be possible. I wouldn't mind using their power as I will be parking it while I drive my van for work during the day. The trip home is primarily down hill as I live at the beach. Going to email the owners of Hawaii Self Storage. Figured it's worth my time to try. Would also be a good selling point for them as they have car storage.

And for a 20 mile trip (40 round trip? not clear), you'd realistically be served just fine with a standard 120V plug. As long as the thing's not sitting on empty when you leave in the morning, you'll recover about 18 miles in 6 hours. Lots of commercial places even use 5-20 exclusively, which would be faster.

As others have said, I doubt it's even worth the hassle. Maybe worst case ask if you can use one of their 120V sockets, but that's about it.

You could check out the Quick220 (quick220.com) You may be able to plug into two 110v's to create one 220v @ 20 amps outlet. The 110's have to be non-GFI and on separate breakers. It costs 200-300$ and would be a nice thing to throw in the frunk for road trips.

The advantage of having a Tesla is you don't have to think about charging when you're going somewhere 20 miles from home. You could make this roundtrip several times per day and not think twice about it if you're charging overnight at home. Also don't sweat the uphill on such a short drive-- it will be downhill coming home.

Thanks guys, I think I'm overthinking it a bit, but that's OK, better safe than sorry. Super excited about the whole thing, and I'm really proud of those who already have a Tesla. It's a piece of history I just can't pass on.

I am planning to use my Tesla to mainly drive to/from my public storage unit. I have a parking space I rent there where I keep a commercial van I use for one of my businesses. I plan to park my Tesla there about 4-6 hours/day while I use the van to run around.

Can anyone share success story getting a public storage facility to instal or allow instal of a charging station? I'd love to hear pointers, talking points, and general advice as to how you convinced them.

Thanks

Aloha Hawaii J,
I think installing an electrical outlet for your MS at a public storage site is risky. For one, what cable are you going to use? UMC? HPWC? Both are sort of expensive to leave where someone else could help themselves to your stuff. The UMC is cheaper but portable. They could unplug it or damage your charge port as the take it. The HPWC is only going to work on a Tesla. So you are talking about probably $1000+ for the outlet assuming the owner is going to allow you. Another $1200 for the HPWC so they can't steal it as easily as the UMC. And what about the electricity you use of your host? $ .33 a KW every day? Gonna put your own meter in so you can pay for it yourself?

Personally, I think Chipper's got the right idea. That's what we do here.
:)

Aloha Hawaii J,
I think installing an electrical outlet for your MS at a public storage site is risky. For one, what cable are you going to use? UMC? HPWC? Both are sort of expensive to leave where someone else could help themselves to your stuff. The UMC is cheaper but portable. They could unplug it or damage your charge port as the take it. The HPWC is only going to work on a Tesla. So you are talking about probably $1000+ for the outlet assuming the owner is going to allow you. Another $1200 for the HPWC so they can't steal it as easily as the UMC. And what about the electricity you use of your host? $ .33 a KW every day? Gonna put your own meter in so you can pay for it yourself?

Personally, I think Chipper's got the right idea. That's what we do here.
:)

I hear ya, they would pay for it not me. Be a selling point for them as many cars are stored there. As far as theft, it's gated, manned, and cameras cover every square inch. I've asked the manager and he likes the idea. He's asking the owners. I plan to build a warehouse in the same area, so by the time they decide it may not matter.

Last edited:
I hear ya, they would pay for it not me. Be a selling point for them as many cars are stored there. As far as theft, it's gated, manned, and cameras cover every square inch. I've asked the manager and he likes the idea. He's asking the owners. I plan to build a warehouse in the same area, so by the time they decide it may not matter.

many other Teslas are stored there? Interesting.

Did you get my PM to you?