Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pickup and Hiccups - Anyone else had these issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my new Model S85 on 9/11/14 (two weeks late due to the factory shut down) and there still seem to be issues with the quality control. I drove the car 18 miles and it started sounding like I had run over a 10-gallon plastic jug and it was bouncing under the car. I pulled off the freeway at the next exit and looked under the car and saw the whole plastic panel under the car at the back was hanging down like a scoop. I called Roadside assistance and they had me towed back to the dealership. They informed me at the dealership that the bolts were not tightened at the factory and were not checked prior to delivery. They replaced the cover and got me on my way in about 15 minutes (gave me a coffee mug & water bottle and promised a free detail), but it took another 3 hours before I got home. For the past two mornings (days 3 and 4 with the car), I have had to reboot the computer system in order to get the display (and the car) to function. The car also seems not to connect to my iPhone 5s and I have had to remove it and re-install it twice now. I am hoping these hiccups get better.

I just got my new Model S85 on 9/11/14 (two weeks late due to the factory shut down) and there still seem to be issues with the quality control. I drove the car 18 miles and it started sounding like I had run over a 10-gallon plastic jug and it was bouncing under the car. I pulled off the freeway at the next exit and looked under the car and saw the whole plastic panel under the car at the back was hanging down like a scoop. I called Roadside assistance and they had me towed back to the dealership. They informed me at the dealership that the bolts were not tightened at the factory and were not checked prior to delivery. They replaced the cover and got me on my way in about 15 minutes (gave me a coffee mug & water bottle and promised a free detail), but it took another 3 hours before I got home. For the past two mornings (days 3 and 4 with the car), I have had to reboot the computer system in order to get the display (and the car) to function. The car also seems not to connect to my iPhone 5s and I have had to remove it and re-install it twice now. I am hoping these hiccups get better.

Welcome to the forums. I've not heard of those issues. Some software versions of taken a reboot every once in a while but not every morning. It sounds like you are having a sleep issue. What firmware version is loaded on the car?

Welcome to the forums and congratulations! My advice is to make a short video of your display experience, and email it to [email protected].

For the mobile phone connection, confirm that the mobile setting is enabled on the car, and if it is but it still doesn't work, it's possible that Tesla hasn't set your VIN as "delivered" yet. Again, an email will get their attention, and they will respond with email or a phone call.

Thanks Denarius. The version I have is 5.12, build 1.64.38. Since there is no update icon and I do have the car on my home wi-fi network, I'm guessing that I have the latest build. I did not try to "wake" the car with my iPhone app this morning, and everything worked fine all day today. Going to experiment tomorrow morning (9/16) and see if I wake the car with the iPhone app and the same issues arise.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Brett. I think you mis-read my post. I can access the car from my iPhone app, no problem, most of the time. The problem arose when the car would not start and the screens were blank. I called Roadside adn they told me how to reboot. Did that both Saturday and Sunday. Today, I did not "wake" the car with the iPhone app first, but rather just got in to drive it to the office and everything worked fine. As I told Denarius, I'm going to try to "wake" the car tomorrow (9/16) with the iPhone and see what happens. BTW, I have so many other questions for you, we really need to get together for lunch soon. Call me at the office when you get a chance. I'll email you tomorrow too.

Thanks Denarius. The version I have is 5.12, build 1.64.38. Since there is no update icon and I do have the car on my home wi-fi network, I'm guessing that I have the latest build. I did not try to "wake" the car with my iPhone app this morning, and everything worked fine all day today. Going to experiment tomorrow morning (9/16) and see if I wake the car with the iPhone app and the same issues arise.

You shouldn't need to wake the car with your phone, the only time I do is when I want to pre cool/heat the car. 5.12 has been fairly buggy for a lot of people, 6.0 has been released, but updates are pushed to all the cars over the course of a few weeks.

Wasn't really trying to wake the car. Just playing with the new toys and checking the status on my iPhone when I got up in the morning. The car is in the garage, so I don't really need to start it up or anything else. Guess I should leave sleeping cars lie, but I may still run my test in the morning. Thanks for the heads up on the update. I will look for it and hope it comes sooner than later to my car.