Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could have Used Backup Sensors Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
It's my own dumb fault, but man, backup sensors could have saved me some grief today.

I was on my way to show the car at an environmental exhibit with an organization my company works with, and wanted to stop for a coffee on the way. I usually park far out in the lot, but today was in a hurry and though I'd pull in close to the door. As I was waiting to back into a spot, a stream of cars was coming out of the drive-thru, so I sat and waited until it cleared. When the last car passed buy me, I swung and looked over the other shoulder to make sure I had enough room to the car next to me, but that car I thought had passed behind me had actually stopped. I clipped its bumper as I moved backwards! Backup sensors would have sounded off and I would have stopped.

So we exchanged information, and I had to display the car with this scrape on it :redface:

It looked a bit better after I buffed it out, and there is no real damage to the metal surface. Just scratched with no dent or gouge. Even the bumper surround it not actually torn, so I'm hopeful it can be repaired and re-painted in place.

20140914_151458276_iOS.jpg

Ouch! I backed my Roadster into a column in the parking garage within a couple of weeks of buying it, and also picked up a couple of scrapes from highway debris. Luckily all damage was in the 3M only.

Good luck with the patching - the nicks add character!

To be fair, the side of the rear quarter panel is kind of a dead zone even WITH the sensors. We've seen more than one sensor-equipped car with damage in the exact same spot as yours. The closest sensor is way over by where the trunk meets the bumper.

Sorry that happened. Definitely sucks. :(

To be fair, the side of the rear quarter panel is kind of a dead zone even WITH the sensors. We've seen more than one sensor-equipped car with damage in the exact same spot as yours. The closest sensor is way over by where the trunk meets the bumper.

Because I was kind of backing up in an arc, I though the sensors might have "seen" the car as I was coming around, but who knows... A lot of cars that come through the drive-thru do tend to stop to put their coffee in the cupholder, put their wallets away or whatever, so I shouldn't have assumed the car was still moving when I looked the other way. If only they'd stopped a couple of inches further down the aisle...

Goes in to the Tesla-approved shop tomorrow morning. I think they said they's have a Jetta for me, so that sucks.

After trying them in a loaner, decided to spring for the parking sensor retrofit despite the cost. My rear bumper is full of dings already anyway, and had already been patched up once, so it was probably going to need replacement anyway...

Repairs complete. They did an excellent job, but claimed there was a "dent" in the aluminum and the total (insurance) bill came in at $2k. ($300 deductible) I am absolutely positive there was no dent, and the small scratch wasn't even fully through the paint. They removed and repaired the bumper surround and painted the entire rear quarter panel. Goes back in a couple of weeks to re-apply the paint armor.

If car did NOT have 'protecto-shield' you could get PNT Code from VIN sticker on bottom jamb of driver's door: PMSG = metallic sequoia green (my car) and order a pint can or a 12oz spray can and then go to town to the best of your DIY skills. From a bigger NAPA store that serves body shops you can have them make up these from the code. Their 12oz spray cans do not last forever, but exact match long lasting 12oz spray cans are available online.

If there is that 'protecto shield' coating - I have no clue!!

If you like the DIY repaint job then you've saved $$. You can get away with a not so perfect job if it is low on the car, thus avoiding being seen in sky reflections. Sky reflections are what make a dark MS so beautiful to behold as we all know.

If you totally botch your DIY attempt it won't matter to the body shop, they'll just strip it off and do it right. So why not give it a try.
--

If you like the DIY repaint job then you've saved $$. You can get away with a not so perfect job if it is low on the car, thus avoiding being seen in sky reflections. Sky reflections are what make a dark MS so beautiful to behold as we all know.

I would have happily done a DIY repair, or paid a shop to do it. Unfortunately another vehicle was involved. I was backing up into a parking spot and grazed the rear end of another car that was also in the parking lot aisle, but heading in the opposite direction. I can't even be sure the other car wasn't also backing up, but I know I was for sure, and my insurance deemed it as an "at fault" accident. The other party did not want to deal outside of the insurance companies.

I would have happily done a DIY repair, or paid a shop to do it. Unfortunately another vehicle was involved. I was backing up into a parking spot and grazed the rear end of another car that was also in the parking lot aisle, but heading in the opposite direction. I can't even be sure the other car wasn't also backing up, but I know I was for sure, and my insurance deemed it as an "at fault" accident. The other party did not want to deal outside of the insurance companies.
At least the other party told you that up front. My wife had a minor incident at a traffic light and offered to just pay whatever ridiculous estimate the other party got from the dealership out of pocket to keep the insurance from going up (companies love our expensive-to-insure cars). The other party agreed, got the estimate, and then called our insurance company to check on our insurance status, explaining the situation. Once your insurance company finds out about an accident, it's part of your history whether they pay out or not and will affect rates. Then the other party was angry we made them go through our insurance company (and their body shop) rather than the dealer repair we offered originally. "Sorry, you screwed it up!"

Sorry to hear about your situation, though, sucks :-/

> If there is that 'protecto shield' coating - I have no clue!! [myself]

If there is another party involved - I have no clue!!

Apparently I've led a charmed life for much too long. Be on the lookout from here on. :crying:
--

Sorry to hear about your situation, though, sucks :-/

This is my first "at fault" accident involving another vehicle in almost 40 years of driving, and my first claim of any type (broken windshield etc.) in at least a dozen years. My insurance company has an "accident forgiveness" policy for your first, so as long as I stay out of trouble for the next 7 years or so, I'm golden. I won't be able to switch companies, because I'd have to report the claim to any other company I may go with, and that would affect their quote.

Too bad I didn't use my at-fault claim to write the car off because my policy includes a brand new replacement for the first two years of ownership (kidding, of course).