Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with London Superchargers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently visiting London from the NL and have to say that I'm struggling with the London Superchargers. Yesterday charged at The Crystal = 84kW with a starting range of 50km typical. 2nd Tesla arrived & my power dropped to 24kW. Gave up after a while.. Can better charge at Ikea, at least they have meatballs.

Today I went to the SuC's at Canary Wharf, Canada Sq. Couldn't charge at either station. And the problem with being 2 floors down is that there's no phone signal, so I couldn't call anyone. Gave up and decided to go back to The Crystal, 2.5 km further along.

The SuC's at the Crystal are behind a security barrier. When I got there, there was another Tesla waiting to get it. He'd been waiting 20mins and no one had turned up. Guy was very pissed. Also we could see another Tesla charging inside the barrier.. Experience says that here, 2 Tesla's means low charge power, 3 Teslas means waiting for low charge power. So I gave up and headed off.

My destination is Wembley, which more or less takes me passed the SuC at Portman Sq. Now happily charging there, initially at 110kW starting at 150 typical. Parking is pretty tight at the Hyatt, best to reverse into the bay right from the entrance. There's a phone number taped to the station with a number to call in the event of problems.

Conclusion = The Crystal is busy, low power and not reliably accessible. There must be a problem with the SuC's at Canada Sq & you can't call anyone for help.

This messing around is OK on a Sunday evening. But it would be hell during the week, London traffic being what it is. Bit disappointing really.

Called Tesla. Very helpful, but nothing concrete. 1A at Canary Wharf is working this morning... Someone is using it. Advice is to go back and try again. My remarks about The Crystal will be passed on to the SuC people.

But if I have a problem again at CW, apart from paying a pointless parking charge, I still won't be able to contact Tesla while at the SuC. They are aware of this issue, but empty handed.

Rob.