Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need charging advice for trip between Portland, OR and Boise, ID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to make a trip from Boise to Portland and back. Looking for advice on options to charge efficiently for this trip. From Boise to Portland, I'm willing to overnight on the way, preferably past half way. From Portland to Boise, I plan on using the supercharger at The Dalles, I will need to complete the return trip during the day and prefer to find some options to be able to charge with 40A along the way back somewhere. I have a Model S P85 with 21in wheels.

If someone has done the trip, or knows a good place to stop and charge overnight between Boise and Portland, and know of a spot to charge on the way back one stop at the supercharger, and another maybe 215 miles later , that would be awesome.

Thanks,
KP

I haven't done that voyage yet, however, if you're not already aware of these tools, they can make planning a lot easier:

One of my favorites is "RV Parky" (There's an iOS and Andriod app too): RV Parky | RV Parks Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos
This site shows you RV campgrounds and more importantly if they have hookups and which type of hookups. Be aware you want to look for "50-amp" hookups (in the RV world, a 50-amp hookup is a NEMA 14-50). Be aware the the Tesla can not charge on a "30-amp" hookup currently. (At least last time I checked)

Another great tool is EV Trip Planner
Which I've found to be pretty accurate as long as you punch in the correct values.

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!
Is also very useful, I would recommend you signup for a free account so you can see home chargers.

I did a trip from Ontario to Pendleton (Wildhorse) this past weekend to checkout the new SuperChargers. Baker City has broke ground and probably in service in 4 or 5 weeks ( see Pic on Baker City site). I did a 260 charge, drove 65 all of the way back and still had enough to get to Boise. Distance 221.1 miles Driving Time 3:33 Total Energy Used 64.1 kWh
214 RM Average Efficiency 290 Wh/mile Net Elevation Change -1601 feet

I did a trip from Ontario to Pendleton (Wildhorse) this past weekend to checkout the new SuperChargers. Baker City has broke ground and probably in service in 4 or 5 weeks ( see Pic on Baker City site). I did a 260 charge, drove 65 all of the way back and still had enough to get to Boise. Distance 221.1 miles Driving Time 3:33 Total Energy Used 64.1 kWh
214 RM Average Efficiency 290 Wh/mile Net Elevation Change -1601 feet

Awesome, what is the config of your model S? Boise to Pendleton in a P85 with any speed above 65 and it's hard to stay that low in the Idaho section is marginal on range. A top off in Baker City of about 30miles adds some comfort. As you said, in another 4-6 weeks eastern Oregon or Western Idaho to Portland should not involve any drama.

I just drove from Wildhorse Resort with my model s 85 at 68 mph to Ontario and had 90 miles in reserve. Boise is only 55 miles further. Evtripplanner says Wildhorse to Boise is 216.1 miles and with a 400 lb load, it would take 233 RM.