Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uk estimated range in miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, from the Tesla site, given an S85 with 19" wheels, 10c temp, no air con on with windows up the range calculator at various speed is listed as:-

50 mph. 332miles
55 mph. 306 miles
60 mph. 283 miles
65 mph. 261 miles
70 mph. 240 miles

Assuming an approximate increase in a liner percentage drop of 0.0025% each 5mph (taken from the quoted ones). Don't forget these are compounded from the last drop. I calculated the below:-

75 mph. 218 miles
80 mph. 198 miles
85 mph. 179 miles
90 mph. 161 miles
95 mph. 145 miles
100 mph. 130 miles

[Updated as requested in another post. Added speeds to 155 mph Re the P85D]

105 mph. 117 miles
110 mph. 104 miles
115 mph. 93 miles
120 mph. 83 miles
125 mph. 73 miles
130 mph. 64 miles
135 mph. 57 miles
140 mph. 50 miles
145 mph. 44 miles
150 mph. 38 miles
155 mph. 33 miles

[Update ended]

My question is has anyone any actual experience of range at constant speeds of 75 to 100mph, or any insight on how my calculations could be improved/completely recalculated as they are so inaccurate due to some incorrect assumptions?

Last edited:
Tesla have published range charts vs speed for the Model S and roadster, and US owners have extrapolated these to higher speeds:

modelsrange.png

So your figures are pretty good (at calculating idealised range).

Driving in the real world on a long journey you can definitely get 250 miles by going at 65mph and taking things smoothly.

The speedo on the Model S is very accurate and does not over-exaggerate, so when it says 65 (and when range calculations talk about 65) they're talking about a speed that would show as 70 or more on most ICE cars, so 65 feels less slow than you might think.

My attitude to the car is as follows:
* 99 days out of 100 I am not going on a long journey so I drive it quickly and make full use of the performance where safe to do so. I don't give any thought to range (or fuel costs which are basically irrelevant), and I don't even look at the energy usage charts or trip meters.
* 1 day out of 100 I am going on a long journey and I take a completely different approach, relax, cruise at 65-70 and just enjoy the smoothness of it. It's a bit slower, but it really doesn't make much difference and it's a lovely way to travel.

Range anxiety is a non-issue.

I completed a 165 mile trip in my S60 (19" wheels)

Most was at 70 ish on cruise down the A1 (as has been said other cars who thought they were doing "70" were going slower than me due to the speedo accuracy).

I range charged before I left, and it showed 183 ideal range. When I got home I had 15 miles remaining.

I'd expect an 80 to perform equally in being able to meet it's larger range target.

My Wh/mi are in line with 80 owners when travelling at speed. I suspect I get slightly better readings around town, but this is much more driver dependant, and the small weight saving is easily offset with a heavy right foot.

HTH

I did a 450 mile round trip from Manchester to London. The "worst" economy was the first part when it was stop start down to Birmingham. From a full charge I managed just 120 miles with 40 left "in the tank". Driving at 80mph+ also had a significant impact on the range.

I estimate that driving at a constant 70mph would yield over 210 miles.