Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Capacitive Electric Motor in the future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been some breakthroughts in the development of capactive electric motors.
advatanges.
-cheaper, use only aluminum instead of copper or other rare earth materials
-higher efficiency, convert more electricity in movement energy
-motors can be smaller and lighter then an comparable induction motors (Tesla uses such) with the same power output

so really there are only advanteges, I hope someone can confront Elon with such a question at some point.

Capacitive Power Coupler prototype demonstration - YouTube

The video is comparing an old school brushed motor to their own new design. Sure an old series DC motor is quite inefficient (maybe 65% as an example) comparatively speaking plus they have consumable parts other than bearings (the brushes and the slip rings potentially). Brushed motors are already well on their way to the path of the Dodo so it is somewhat pointless comparing a new design like this to them.

Tesla nor any of modern EVs run a brushed design anyway. I scrapped brushed motors in my RC helis over a decade ago and have never looked back. This type of motor is already in mass production on a huge scale and already cheap even with their 'rare earth' magnets. Remember the term 'rare earth' is an over-used fallacy these days. Gold isn't classed as 'rare earth' but it certainly is. I don't expect any radials changes in electric motor design anytime soon because they run so well now. When modern AC induction (Tesla) and permanent magnet type brushless DC motors are currently running 90+% efficiency, your development is at point of diminishing returns.

I'm pretty sure Tesla's R&D radar is on battery development more than anything. That is where the gains are to be had. Their motor and power electronics already work and work very well - no need for radial revolutionary change just evolutionary development to squeeze every last drop out of them.

OK, slip rings and brushes are bad. Got it. But how do you connect 2 sets of plates that are rotating relative to each other without them?

Look at the video. At 4:07, the demo unit clearly has a brush and slip ring to transfer power to the rotating plate.