Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost One Year and a perfect day with the Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibcs

Jan 31, 2010
Ohio
Just wanted to share a perfect day with the Tesla Roadster. Driving time 3 1/2 hours - 174.9 miles almost all highway. Energy: 258 wh / mi in the mid 50's in Ohio today. Charged for 6 1/2 hours on a 110v 15 Amp circuit while watching a Fall college baseball doubleheader. Picked up 26 miles while watching baseball. The games went great my son pitched three innings of no hit baseball and struck out four.

In the last year, I had the interior upgraded by Covert Tuning in Columbus, Ohio / Ed and Al's in Hollywood. They upgraded the sound system with Focal speakers and installed a Passport 9500ci radar detector. I already upgraded to the Parrott Android system before the interior upgrade.

20140802_004231000_iOS.jpg

20140802_002947000_iOS.jpg

20140802_004813000_iOS.jpg

The comfort of the Model S is amazing, but the driving experience of the Roadster is second to none. If you are thinking of buying a Roadster you too can have a perfect day.

Firstly, sounds like an awesome day. I also love the roadster. Driving it is an experience second to none.

Please explain "Parrott Android system". Please also tell me how you like the radar detection.

Finally, do you like the speakers, as the stock head unit and speakers could stand an upgrade.

Best,

T

Firstly, sounds like an awesome day. I also love the roadster. Driving it is an experience second to none.

Please explain "Parrott Android system". Please also tell me how you like the radar detection.

Finally, do you like the speakers, as the stock head unit and speakers could stand an upgrade.

Best,

T

Parrott Asteroid Link - Nice Double Din upgrade for roadster. If you have a 1.5 contact Al and Ed's in Hollywood, CA they have a kit to modify a 1.5.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/15980-Parrot-Asteroid-SMART-2DIN-Head-Unit

The Passport 9500ci is a custom installation with front and rear diffusers for laser detection. The system warns you of front or rear laser, KA and X band. In Ohio, I turn off K band as it would drive me crazy otherwise. Every automatic door uses K band and it was more annoying than helpful. With K band turned off the only time the radar goes off is if it's detecting a real signal.

The installation is in the cubby hole to pop the trunk as pictured.

roadster - Passport1.JPG

The front diffusers are mounted in the grill. The rear ones are mounted on the top part of the license plate area and are barely visible.

roadster - Passport2.JPG

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Neat story! Thanks for sharing. College baseball is a lot of fun. I loved baseball but simply did not have the talent to play at a high level. Very cool your son is pitching well in college.

I had a quick question about your Double-DIN conversion. I'm still in the processing of planning mine. I was able to get the 2-piece binnacle (including the top portion) and was closing to going with Al and Ed's to finish it off, but the roundtrip vehicle shipping costs (Phoenix to West Hollywood and back) put it out of my budget for the time being. Anyway, I had a question about your dash.

Was your dash originally covered in leather? If so, how does the leather dash look with the golf ball like dimples on the top plastic section of the binnacle? I was a bit concerned the leather dash combined with the plastic would look a little funny, although yours looks just fine.

Neat story! Thanks for sharing. College baseball is a lot of fun. I loved baseball but simply did not have the talent to play at a high level. Very cool your son is pitching well in college.

I had a quick question about your Double-DIN conversion. I'm still in the processing of planning mine. I was able to get the 2-piece binnacle (including the top portion) and was closing to going with Al and Ed's to finish it off, but the roundtrip vehicle shipping costs (Phoenix to West Hollywood and back) put it out of my budget for the time being. Anyway, I had a question about your dash.

Was your dash originally covered in leather? If so, how does the leather dash look with the golf ball like dimples on the top plastic section of the binnacle? I was a bit concerned the leather dash combined with the plastic would look a little funny, although yours looks just fine.

No my dash was originally plastic like all others without any carbon fiber. The binnacle was covered with the same leather so everything matches at this point. I've included a close up picture of the double din area for your inspection. FYI, I found a local company Covert Tuning - Columbus Ohio to work with Al & Ed's to perform the disassembly. The leather wrap was done by Al & Ed's by shipping them the removed dash and seats.

Roadster-Dash.JPG

No my dash was originally plastic like all others without any carbon fiber. The binnacle was covered with the same leather so everything matches at this point. I've included a close up picture of the double din area for your inspection. FYI, I found a local company Covert Tuning - Columbus Ohio to work with Al & Ed's to perform the disassembly. The leather wrap was done by Al & Ed's by shipping them the removed dash and seats.

Thanks for the info. My dash is actually leather and I don't have the CF interior. I wonder if that was part of the premium interior leather option listed for $6000 on the sticker?

That might complicate my conversion, i.e., make it more expensive. Or maybe I can buy a Lotus dash and have that converted. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again for the pics. It's very helpful.

Thanks for the info. My dash is actually leather and I don't have the CF interior. I wonder if that was part of the premium interior leather option listed for $6000 on the sticker?

That might complicate my conversion, i.e., make it more expensive. Or maybe I can buy a Lotus dash and have that converted. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again for the pics. It's very helpful.

Glad it helps. I'm very pleased with the conversion because I was getting a lot of creaking from the dash parts. Now I don't have any. Please post a picture of your dash when you get a chance. Love to see the difference.