Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new rear seat console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been wanting the rear seat console prototype shown more than a year ago that never materialized.

I found this unit on Amazon for about $80.
Amazon.com: Wolf 38601003 Console Deluxe Benchseat Tan: Automotive

It fit the rear seat well but the color mismatch for my tan leather bugged me.
asu5a9yd.jpg

So, I decided to get it reupholstered. I got totally ripped off, I think, having never done this before (I paid a whopping $280!!!! after labour and material which was not even leather -- they had to order a yard in, and there was plenty left over) but nevertheless I'm pretty happy with the final result. The color isn't perfect but it's closer. This was taken tonight in the dark using the iphone flash, but the color difference rendition is pretty good. I'll take daylight pics tomorrow.

ynypeme7.jpg

e6a8u2az.jpg

For safety, I added a few straps on the underside to guide the seatbelt through and prevent the unit from flying forward. If you look at the pics above, the unit is strapped into the seatbelt.
nutugaqu.jpg

I do feel kinda silly for paying so much to reupholster a cheap $80 item, but I think this turned out pretty well. I'm sure if I had the patience I'd have found a cheaper shop to do the work. I will concede that the work was high quality, though.

The kids used it today for a 2 h road trip and liked the storage, drink holders and arm rest.

Brilliant!
Except for having to thread the seatbelt through your stapled straps it looks pretty much OEM.
When you think about your time and energy needed to clean sticky liquids off leather and carpet and maybe even alcantara.......it's well worth the $280.

Thanks for the nice replies. It does make me feel better about the reupholstering price. I figured for a $100,000 car and such a visible piece, in the end, it really isn't that bad (this is how we all justify expenditures though, isn't it?). I'd imagine black interiors would be much easier to match. Turns out Tesla's tan color is really hard to match exactly. One other option would have been to pick a contrasting color -- perhaps even black since there are other black and tan juxtapositions in the car.

The middle seatbelt runs thru the 3 loops I put on the bottom of the console. It doesn't make the console immovable (it still shifts a bit from slack in the belt and the fact it isn't secured to the LATCH system -- you'll find the same in child car seats belted vs LATCH system attached).

I also can pull the belt out til it does the one way ratchet thing, preventing large forward movement.

The underside straps were an easy way to prevent the console from flying forward in a sudden stop or collision.

Re color mismatch.............looks more like grey in your original photo. My interior is grey, and this looks like it MIGHT adequately match. Was it really more grey than tan?

I've been wanting the rear seat console prototype shown more than a year ago that never materialized.

I found this unit on Amazon for about $80.
Amazon.com: Wolf 38601003 Console Deluxe Benchseat Tan: Automotive

It fit the rear seat well but the color mismatch for my tan leather bugged me.
asu5a9yd.jpg

So, I decided to get it reupholstered. I got totally ripped off, I think, having never done this before (I paid a whopping $280!!!! after labour and material which was not even leather -- they had to order a yard in, and there was plenty left over) but nevertheless I'm pretty happy with the final result. The color isn't perfect but it's closer. This was taken tonight in the dark using the iphone flash, but the color difference rendition is pretty good. I'll take daylight pics tomorrow.

ynypeme7.jpg

e6a8u2az.jpg

For safety, I added a few straps on the underside to guide the seatbelt through and prevent the unit from flying forward. If you look at the pics above, the unit is strapped into the seatbelt.
nutugaqu.jpg

I do feel kinda silly for paying so much to reupholster a cheap $80 item, but I think this turned out pretty well. I'm sure if I had the patience I'd have found a cheaper shop to do the work. I will concede that the work was high quality, though.

The kids used it today for a 2 h road trip and liked the storage, drink holders and arm rest.

I noticed that you said you staples straps on the bottom for the seatbelts to go through. I was reading the reviews on Amazon, and folks said theirs had straps and one reviewer said he had to unscreww and unstaple his to make them wider for the belt to go through. Did yours have no attachment straps? I wish this unit had straps to attach to the child restraint hooks. I like the looks and we have tan interior as well, but I am considering it in black. It would only be used for extended trips with passengers in the back and otherwise, I am sure we would stow it in the frunk. :biggrin:

Thanks for the nice replies. It does make me feel better about the reupholstering price. I figured for a $100,000 car and such a visible piece, in the end, it really isn't that bad (this is how we all justify expenditures though, isn't it?). I'd imagine black interiors would be much easier to match. Turns out Tesla's tan color is really hard to match exactly. One other option would have been to pick a contrasting color -- perhaps even black since there are other black and tan juxtapositions in the car.

The original strap that came built in is too narrow to allow the belt buckle to pass through easily (you have to rotate the buckle in the loop), and it is only a single one in the center, so the console tended to shift around. By adding a few extra, wider straps, it was very easy to pass the buckle and the extra points keep it more stable.

I also wish it could click into the LATCH hooks in the seat seams, but alas, I don't see a way to engineer that easily.

I do wonder what a pure black console looks like against the tan -- might be better since a total difference might be better than a near match. To me, my final product is certainly good enough, and many casual onlookers don't notice the difference.