Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OpenEVSE Open Source Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not been very active at TMC with OpenEVSE info. There have been a handful of Tesla owners that have built OpenEVSE units at 40A+, however most development has focused on 30A portable units. I have just released a new board and kit that fit the needs of Tesla owners better. I have been using a prototype 40A unit to charge my Model S for several months as has another TMC member. My UMC now is in the car where it should be...

OpenEVSE Plus v3 is now avaliable.
http://store.openevse.com/products/copy-of-openevse-plus-v3 .

It is a board specifically designed for Level 2 charging stations. To the standard OpenEVSE features (basically everything required in SAE J1772) it adds a opto-isolated line voltage AC relay trigger to drive large contactors. It also adds current measurement.

To go along with the new board is a 50A Level 2 Charging station kit.
50A Kit

Build Guide for 50A Charging Station Kit
OpenEVSE 50A Charging Station - OpenEV

http://d17kynu4zpq5hy.cloudfront.net/igi/openevse/uhIhbvIpU14VLu5G.medium

Last edited:
Well, $595 is a lot less than a $18k min order for 50 units! It also is competitive with Tesla's price for the 80 Amp Model S cable.

Sounds like that is the going rate these days. Reminded me of the old racer saying:

"(charging) speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"​

Personally, at these prices, 40 Amps (30 mph) will probably be my answer.

GSP

Well, $595 is a lot less than a $18k min order for 50 units! It also is competitive with Tesla's price for the 80 Amp Model S cable.

Sounds like that is the going rate these days. Reminded me of the old racer saying:

"(charging) speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"​

Personally, at these prices, 40 Amps (30 mph) will probably be my answer.

GSP

There is a rumor going around that Tesla is dropping their price for the 80A HPWC from $1,200 to $750. That seems too good to be true, but really makes these a cables seem expensive.

Here is a link to pictures of the 40A UMC replacement I built with Chris's new HV contactor capable OpenEVSE board, I bought a Tesla UMC connector from Tony Williams, and the EVSE cable from his company as well (It was a challenge to splice them together, used "heat shrink" butt style connectors with solder embedded in them, then taped it all up and then overall shrink on that with a torch)

40A-OpenEVSE Slideshow by mitch672 | Photobucket

I've also built a 75A OpenEVSE with the ITT 75A cable, it's what I use everyday on my Dual charger Model S
OpenEVSE Slideshow by mitch672 | Photobucket
(the 40A OpenEVSE UMC replacement is at another house)

Last edited:
The only place I've seen them listed for sale is at manzanitamicro.com, $345 for 75A. No idea if they are in stock (or even still available):

Manzanita Micro

I did check to see if Kickstarter could be used as "escrow service" for a big order, but their rules prohibit resale; you have to be creating something.

They don't spec the plug itself. Also derate the cable to 50/60A, whatever that means. Also, DigiKey omits wire gauge of their 70A plug/cable combo.

Curious, I checked out my still unused CS-60: rated "48A continuous":

Cord - 3x8ga, 1x18ga.
Plug - no name - sticker says "70A at 240/120".

If I upgraded the contactor as well as the circuit board this could make a 70A j1772 (or less if the cable gets too hot).
--

Last edited: