Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Played video on Tesla web browser but no sound...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Canuck

Nov 30, 2013
South Surrey, BC
By chance today I happened on a way to watch video on the touch screen. Stuck in traffic, I decided to bring up my surveillance cameras at my cabin on the touch screen. I have never been able to get video on any mobile devices, without using an app (desktop computers work once you download the plugin) but I thought what the heck. Well, to my surprise, a new HD surveillance camera I recently installed has a "mobile" viewing setting, so I tried that and it brought up live video! So, then I thought if that camera is pointed at a TV or tablet, instead of watching the nice lake view, I could watch a movie, hockey game, etc. (well, not me, but the passengers). Now, it's not ideal since someone has to be at the other location with the camera and point it at the TV, tablet, etc. Also, despite the fact that my camera has sound, there's no way to play that sound through the browser. But still, it thrilled me to watch live video on the screen (that wasn't from the backup camera). :biggrin:

I’d be interested in what fps you’re getting. My guess is that they’re sending over frames as jpg pictures and using dhtml to update the picture, similar to many DOT traffic cameras out there. Effective but very low fps (usually around 2-5)

I can do this too, with Foscams, but wouldn't consider it proper video, no more than an animated gif.

My Foscams only show stills.

When I go to my cabin next weekend, I will point it to TV playing a football game and see what it looks like. It's hard to tell how choppy the video is now since it's pointing at things that are stationary. I agree it won't be "proper video" since the fps will be much lower than the camera specs. Is there a way to tell how many fps the video is? I have the clock on it and the seconds tick off fine, which is how I first noticed I wasn't watching a still, then I noticed branches moving in the wind, etc.