Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three Quick Southern California HOV Sticker Questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting for my Tesla to come next week.

Today while crawling on the 405 counting the Teslas passing by with their HOV sticker I was curious on the following... while traveling alone.

1) I am allowed to bypass the metering lights (on-ramps) as a carpool right? This one seems pretty obvious.

2) How about the Carpool/Toll Road on the 110? Do my stickers allow me to set my transponder to the 2 or 3 occupants setting and travel for free in these lanes?

3) How about the 91 Toll road? Do my stickers allow me to travel in the 3+ Carpool Lane?

and just thought of one more for up North...

4) Can you go on the bridges as a carpool?

I searched but really couldn't find answers to these questions... sorry if this has been discussed numerous time.

FasTrak for Clean Air Vehicles

California law allows single-occupant use of High Occupancy Vehicle (HOVs) lanes by certain qualifying clean alternative fuel vehicles. Eligible clean air vehicles may use the FasTrak carpool lanes on bridges and qualify for the discounted toll rate with an active FasTrak tag. Eligible clean air vehicles do not require a FasTrak tag to use the Express Lane network.

FasTrak - Keeping the Bay Area Moving

So yes to all

1.) Yes
2.) You have to go to metrolanesexpress, get the transponder set it to 3 and leave it there for the HOT lanes
3.) Not sure about the 91, but on the 71 toll road, you will have to Pay. There are no exemptions for EV. Also, they want you to put your transponder on 1 on that road.
4.) IDK about bridges, you may want to contact the jurisdiction website for the bridge. My guess is, yes the sticker is good for "all" carpool lanes. You might still have to pay bridge toll.

White sticker allows you to drive solo and toll-free in I-680, SR237 HOT lanes in the bay area, I-15 HOT lanes in San Diego and I-10 Metro Express Lanes (I-10 requires a FasTrak transponder set to 3). Vehicles with white decals also get half-price tolls on bay area bridges. White decals provide no discount on South Bay Expressway. Details available on HOT lane access our PlugIncentives website.

What about out-of-state visitors driving their EVs in CA? Do I understand correctly that the sticker is required to be able to use HOV lanes? Are these stickers only issued to cars registered in CA or maybe there's an option for visitors to get a temporary one? Thanks!

Some of the carpool lane on ramps clearly say "Carpool Lane: Do Not Stop"

Yes, they do - as a former yellow and green sticker holder, I have paid close attention. If it has a diamond carpool only lane to the interchange, usually the meter will just be green if it is on at all - go on through. If there are no carpool markings, you can't just blow the red meter light as I understand it.

Just got my HOV stickers and my FasTrak transponder. It took about 5 weeks (for the stickers, I got the transponder at AAA). I thought we get a free pass on everything so it's good to know that I will have to pay some tolls. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414173487.624237.jpg

As someone who does not live in California, I am stunned that the rules require you to stick 4 stickers all over the paint of your car!

I would never stick a sticker to the paint of any car I own, let alone a $135k p85d.
Wait until it saves you a substantial amount of time off your commute. I held out 2 months, then decided sitting in traffic for several additional hours per week wasn't worth keeping the bumper clear of stickers.

Wait until it saves you a substantial amount of time off your commute. I held out 2 months, then decided sitting in traffic for several additional hours per week wasn't worth keeping the bumper clear of stickers.

I totally get the huge advantage of the hov lane, I was just in San jose for business, and averaged 19mph driving to sfo, and the hov lane was clearly moving much faster. I guess I'm just happy the requirements in florida aren't nearly as damaging to the car.

My point was that the law is stupid and implies that it's rational to destroy your paint with stickers, and nobody would have a problem with it.

I couldn't agree more. It nearly killed me to put the stickers on the paint. I have never done that to any car, not even my 1974 Mercury Capri. I don't understand why a Tesla is even required to get the stickers since it's an all electric car. Some of the regulations in CA make no sense at all.