Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to Shop for Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The weather here is getting cold, which reminds me to start shopping for Winter tires. Based on a previous research, I think I'm going with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2.

I checked TireRack and couldn't find them there, but they are recommending Dunlop Maxx. What do you guys think?

Is there a new Nokian coming up this year? Is this a good time to shop or is it early? Also, what is your source for tires?

I ran Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D 19-inch tires last winter, and I liked them. They're considerably quieter than my Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL 21-inch summer tires. That said, the Nokian Hakka R2 will probably be my next winter tire. They have a very low rolling resistance which is good for range, and Nokian has some remarkable rubber compounds than adhere to ice and snow at the molecular level.

That said, the Nokian Hakka R2 will probably be my next winter tire. They have a very low rolling resistance which is good for range, and Nokian has some remarkable rubber compounds than adhere to ice and snow at the molecular level.

Whatever they do, it works like magic. And when I put them on, there was no perceivable change in my Wh/mi numbers (until it got much colder and the snow came).

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I saw one of your posts about them and was going to call them today but I got busy at work. Do you mind sharing how much you paid?

$324.67 + tax each when I bought them. That included installation and balancing. I took my car in and had them unmount the Goodyears and mount the Nokians to the stock Tesla rims. They were really good at following the instructions wrt the air suspension (jack mode) and carefully placing the hoist lift points.

I printed out and laminated the Lifting instructions as well as the towing (flat bedding) instructions from the manual and leave them in the glove box. That way, I can just hand it to whoever is working on or towing the vehicle and tell them to follow the instructions to the letter.

I printed out and laminated the Lifting instructions as well as the towing (flat bedding) instructions from the manual and leave them in the glove box. That way, I can just hand it to whoever is working on or towing the vehicle and tell them to follow the instructions to the letter.
That's actually a great idea. Thanks!

Kal Tire in Mississauga says it applies 89 to 100 lb/ft torque. Tesla says 129 is required. Looks like a problem. Mike, can you comment? (Kal Tire hasn't responded yet to my questioning its number.)

The first thing I always do when I get home is back the lug nuts off with my breaker bar, then re-torque to spec. I bought a good torque wrench and will even periodically check the wheels between changeovers.

This is a good one: Mastercraft 1/2-in Drive Torque Wrench | Canadian Tire

This is a low-cost one, which might be adequate for occasional use: Beam Type Torque Wrench, 1/2-in | Canadian Tire

Personally, I'd get the better one. Worth the money. They have the larger 3/8 versions as well.

You'll also need a socket, but that's cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, both of you. Unfortunately, doing something with the wheels is not within my capability.

It's actually very easy, you just need the tool. It's actually a very good idea to re-torque your wheels and set tire pressures yourself after a service, most shops don't do it properly in my experience (Tesla being an exception of course). The low-paid tire jockey can't be bothered to do it right.

If you don't feel you can do it, drop by Tesla Service and ask them to torque it. People have had their brake rotors warp due to inadequate wheel lug torque, and Tesla won't cover that damage under warranty if you have third party rims installed.

TIt's actually very easy, you just need the tool. It's actually a very good idea to re-torque your wheels and set tire pressures yourself after a service, most shops don't do it properly in my experience (Tesla being an exception of course). The low-paid tire jockey can't be bothered to do it right.

Great advice. Tire pressures and wheel nut torque a definitely "trust but verify" items. Also recheck the torque after 500-800 km of driving (300-500 miles). Of course, you'll want to check the tire pressures more frequently.

This is a good one: Mastercraft 1/2-in Drive Torque Wrench | Canadian Tire

This is a low-cost one, which might be adequate for occasional use: Beam Type Torque Wrench, 1/2-in | Canadian Tire

Personally, I'd get the better one. Worth the money. They have the larger 3/8 versions as well.

You'll also need a socket, but that's cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

It's actually very easy, you just need the tool. It's actually a very good idea to re-torque your wheels and set tire pressures yourself after a service, most shops don't do it properly in my experience (Tesla being an exception of course). The low-paid tire jockey can't be bothered to do it right.

If you don't feel you can do it, drop by Tesla Service and ask them to torque it. People have had their brake rotors warp due to inadequate wheel lug torque, and Tesla won't cover that damage under warranty if you have third party rims installed.
I've had that first one for 5+ years, doing winter/summer tire swaps for two cars. super easy to use. If you're patient, watch for sales at CT and you can find it for half price.

Re: torque setting. The 129 ft.lb torque spec is determined by the auto mfr, based on bolt size, number of bolts in the pattern, forces involved, and a few other variables. Manufacterer's spec from the owner's manual MUST be used. Don't let any tire jock suggest otherwise.

Hi Guys,

I've ordered an S85 that I am getting in December and I'm not sure what to do regarding winter tires.

My option is either spend $4K with Tesla and buy their winter rims and tires and get the delivery centre to put them on before I pick my car up
OR
Get tires installed from a third party place by them removing the tires off the rims and putting on the new tires OR buying new rims and tires.

Of course cost matters and I think the $4k (or whatever it is in Canada) for tesla rims and tires is pretty expensive... but I do want the tires installed correctly with the sensors and correct torque.

What do current Tesla owners recommend I do and what have you guys done with your own vehicles.

If anyone can suggest any place in Mississauga/Brampton/Richmond Hill/Markham area for tires that do a great job that would be appreciated along with what to get.

Thanks,

Lak