Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nevada Gov signs all Four Gigafactory Bills. It is now a done deal!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

Nevada governor enacts tax break package to bring Tesla's $5 billion battery factory to state

"This really is the definition of the rising tide lifting all boats," said Steve Hill, director of the Governor's Office of Economic Development. "It wasn't that long ago we were suffering through one of the worst recessions in Nevada history with 14.5 percent unemployment."

Sandoval also signed three other bills that made up the package, one discounting electricity for Tesla and another ending a $25 million annual subsidy — $125 million over five years — for insurance companies to help pay for Tesla's tax credits.

The final one makes it clear it is legal for Tesla to sell the cars it manufactures at dealerships it owns in Nevada. That had been a sticking point in Texas, which along with California, Arizona and New Mexico had competed with Nevada for the plant.

All four bills passed on votes of 21-0 in the Senate and 39-0 in the Assembly.

http://www.newser.com/article/f2128...eslas-5-billion-battery-factory-to-state.html

All four bills passed on votes of 21-0 in the Senate and 39-0 in the Assembly.

Nice. Absolutely unanimous.

Let the construction begin...

PS. Hope they have a great project website too. The overall build from start to finish will be extremely interesting. Would love NatGeo to handle this and bring it to the entire world. Megafactories...no wait...Gigafactories:cool:

PS. Hope they have a great project website too. The overall build from start to finish will be extremely interesting. Would love NatGeo to handle this and bring it to the entire world. Megafactories...no wait...Gigafactories:cool:

Giga is so g^Hweak. I propose a new prefix "Megakilo". It's a Megakilofactory.

This is great* news. Now that the games are over, let the work begin!

* Corporate subsidy grumble blah

Great that it's happening but scary too. I am sure that they can execute but the magnitude of what they are doing is daunting

There has been a few negative articles written about how Nevada has over bid on the amount of giveaways. Unfortunately the headlines are making it look like Tesla is the bad guy. One written in my local rag and one in the LA Times, it comes across that the tax payers will foot the bill to have the gigafactory in Nevada. Would like some input on how this will play out as the Media loves to jump on these kind of things. Is it Tesla's fault that Nevada gave them all those incentives, or is it just smart business on Tesla's part.

You need to do an analysis that is much more than a headline.

What about the income from the wages paid to all the construction workers (for a start). What about all the taxes they WILL be paying that would have been $0 without this project. Now I believe Nevada does NOT have a state income tax but people pay sales taxes, meal taxes, property taxes, etc, etc. Add to that the "multiplier effect" - the rippling of the wages from Tesla out to the rest of the economy.

I'd like to see what the NET effect of these tax breaks are. ...and how many are breaks on taxes that would never have happened. It's hard to say that Tesla cost Nevada $X in property taxes when no property taxes were being collected for the site to begin with.

You need to do an analysis that is much more than a headline.

What about the income from the wages paid to all the construction workers (for a start). What about all the taxes they WILL be paying that would have been $0 without this project. Now I believe Nevada does NOT have a state income tax but people pay sales taxes, meal taxes, property taxes, etc, etc. Add to that the "multiplier effect" - the rippling of the wages from Tesla out to the rest of the economy.

I'd like to see what the NET effect of these tax breaks are. ...and how many are breaks on taxes that would never have happened. It's hard to say that Tesla cost Nevada $X in property taxes when no property taxes were being collected for the site to begin with.
I totally agree, but the problem is the media and people that are writing negative articles do not analyze anything, they just report a one sided view point and the problem with that is people that read this stuff believe it.

There has been a few negative articles written about how Nevada has over bid on the amount of giveaways.

As I see it:
They are angry and upset that the GF did not end in California. They had written more or less exactly the same no matter what state other than California who had won. Had the California won so they had cheered and Elon + Brown been their heroes - with the exact same "amount of giveaways" or more...