Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will a ~400-mile Roadster pack become available from Tesla?

When will a ~400 mile Roadster pack upgrade become available?

• by the end of 2014

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • by the end of 2015

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • just before the Gigafactory (2016-2017)

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • NOT before the Gigafactory

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • The 1st of Never

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pharma5

Roadster F#25, Model 3 #36xx
Nov 22, 2011
central NJ
Ok, so there's supposed to be a ~400 mile Roadster pack upgrade in the works. When do you think it will be offered to owners?

Have tried to show a wide range of optimism/pessimism in the answers. Thanks in advance to all for voting.

If anyone who took delivery of a Roadster in 2008 bought the battery replacement warranty, then they would be owed a new battery at the end of 2015.

Sounds like a good voting rationale. Technically not required to be a ~400 mile pack under that (right?), but hard to imagine them doing an intermediate step to tick that box. And maybe it will only be open to those folks first, with a later date for general availability.

Probably should have worded it more as 'when will it be available for you'....

I took delivery of my Roadster in Feb 2011, so my battery replacement purchase deal will require that I take advantage of it no later than Feb 2021. And that's exactly when I plan to get the 400 mile (give or take) pack. Because by then, that 400 mile pack might be obsolete and we might be talking even better.

I can wait.

This is what @tomsax had to say yesterday;

In a series of statements, Musk said that they would have something great for Roadster owners at the end of 2013 (Teslive), then spring of 2014, then at the end of 2014. The most recent statement was a 400-mile battery pack after the Gigafactory is up and running. That to me says they won't work on it at all until some nebulous point in the future and definitely not before the Gigafactory is done. Statements made at TMC Connect suggest that no one is actually working on it right now, it's just Musk talking. To me an announcement means: commitment to specific details about the product (400 ideal miles or rated miles?), price, and availability date. So far, we have none of those.

What Elon said at Teslive was Roadster owners would have something great in 2014, not 2013. There was no specific time frame mentioned in 2014. (All respect to Tom.) I fully agree with him that more details are required before the battery pack announcement could be considered as fulfillment of that announcement.

This is what @tomsax had to say yesterday;

Tomsax's comment was a major impetus for the question and range of responses.

- - - Updated - - -

I would have picked "Three months after I needed a new battery" but it wasn't an option.

Alas, a missed opportunity!:redface:

Gotta keep the sig greens out there...

- - - Updated - - -

"will be done this year" (watch from 53:43)

[video]http://www.teslamotors.com/2014shareholdermeeting[/video]

I thought this was the most definitive info publicly.

"Add straw...add straw to back" (i.e., camel's back).

I think the 400 mile battery will become available shortly after two things happen: Tesla runs completely out of the old battery sheets and a Roadster battery fails requiring a replacement.

LOL sounds like you know Tesla! From the few hints we've had it doesn't sound like those two conditions are very far off.

I guess we've got you both as 2 of the 3 'end of 2014' votes?:wink::smile:

Still have more people who think it ain't gonna happen (5) versus those who say this year (3)....