Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning a Tesla in a remote small town: practicality of service issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a Tesla model S a few days ago and fell in love with it. Problem is, I live a 1500 km drive from the nearest Tesla service centre in Vancouver.

I assumed it would be a no-go due to service and warrantee issues (the issues around lack of public chargers are not a concern to me as it would be used in-town or for occasional highway drives of < 300 km round trip). However I asked the salesperson, as well as they guy who took me on a test drive, about service and warranty issues at a distance. If I bought this car I would purchase the full 8 year extended coverage.

Verbally they told me that if I needed warranty work, a Tesla Ranger would be sent to me for only a $100.00 charge. They advised me that for tire changes I would be OK using a local mechanic at my cost. And they told me that if I needed service which required the vehicle to be put up on a lift to work under the car, the Ranger would rent a local auto service place to use for the repair. And they told me that if my car needed work which could not be done locally, they would give me a loaner car while they shipped my car to Vancouver and back for service at their cost.

I found all this a little hard to believe since the cost for a Ranger to travel from Vancouver to my town (2 days drive or 2 hour flight) far exceeds the $100.00 charge. No one else in my town or anywhere within a days drive has a Tesla, to my knowledge, so there would be no cost savings in sharing a service trip So I asked them for assurances about this in writing. They referred me to the Tesla Canada website where no such assurances were found. I also e-mailed Tesla about this but received no response.

Bottom line is, if I can be assured that the Ranger service in conjunction with the extended warrantee will cover me, so that I will not be obliged to drive 1500 km for service, and I will not have to pay round-trip freight to send my car in for service, then I will buy this vehicle now. (I would be fine with an annual road trip to Vancouver for regular scheduled annual service). If as I suspect this is all too good to be true, then I will buy an electric vehicle in 2025 when they become more mainstream.

If anyone with experience owning a Tesla in a remote location can advise me on this, or if anyone has a contact address for a Tesla representative who will respond to my inquiry, I would appreciate it.

This is pretty much what they do.

I have experienced such service in Pagosa Springs, CO, 500 km from Denver. Search Service and Alaska or Hawaii and you will see stories that show this really happens.

Prince Rupert! I'm impressed!!!

Tesla has said for some time that they don't and won't pursue service as a profit center. That said, any Model S owner who lives more than an hour's drive from a service center would be wise to purchase the optional 4 or 8 year Service Plan. This provides you with unlimited ranger visits at no charge, and it also includes the $600 annual service. Quite a bargain, considering that the service plan costs less than $600 per year.

I live 200 miles from the Boston-area service center. In 18 months of ownership, Tesla's rangers have visited my house four times, mostly for minor factory updates. You can't beat this service.

any Model S owner who lives more than an hour's drive from a service center would be wise to purchase the optional 4 or 8 year Service Plan. This provides you with unlimited ranger visits at no charge, and it also includes the $600 annual service. Quite a bargain, considering that the service plan costs less than $600 per year.

Tesla has discontinued the unlimited ranger program option. Ranger visits are now $100 per visit. One additional thing to note is that Tesla's website indicates that Ranger visits have a $100 "min. per visit." Presumably, the cost of any repairs not covered by warranty or the service plan would be extra.

Thanks for the replies. The consensus seems to agree with what the salespeople told me. However I'd still like something more definite from Tesla in writing before I cash in my retirement savings kids' education fund to by a Model S.

Did you review the service plan documents? They are available through this link: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...hments/na_tesla_service_plan_agreement_ot.pdf. That's probably all you will get in writing from Tesla. Hope this helps.

You wouldn't believe the lengths Tesla has gone to to service people's cars. When there were only 50 Roadsters in Canada, and ONE office in the country, they would ship tools and parts ahead and fly to the customer's location.

Right now all of Alberta is being serviced from Vancouver.

Tesla has discontinued the unlimited ranger program option. Ranger visits are now $100 per visit. One additional thing to note is that Tesla's website indicates that Ranger visits have a $100 "min. per visit." Presumably, the cost of any repairs not covered by warranty or the service plan would be extra.

Sorry, my mistake. The plan specs must have changed since I purchased it. It is worth noting, however, that Tesla tends to err on the side of the owner when it comes to non-warranty repairs. Tesla Service did a wheel alignment for me at no charge, and they also replaced a damaged chrome trim below my rear bumper at no charge, even though the damage was entirely my fault. This was no small job. The bumper had to be removed to replace it. Even if I had to pay for those $100 visits, it's worth it for the convenience alone.

You wouldn't believe the lengths Tesla has gone to to service people's cars. When there were only 50 Roadsters in Canada, and ONE office in the country, they would ship tools and parts ahead and fly to the customer's location.

Right now all of Alberta is being serviced from Vancouver.
And for that matter Saskatchewan and possibly Manitoba. I think Mayhemm is probably the TMC member that is the most distant from a SC! In Calgary we are actually much further than you from a SC but I have now had 3 appointments with rangers coming to my house. To date I haven't paid for any of these appointments other than a few accessories I bought and had them bring out. As I have not yet hit the 20,000 km or 1 year mark, these were all warranty appointments. I'm not sure exactly what the agreement is for warranty but I have yet to pay a ranger charge. I did purchase the 4 year anywhere plan but now I look at the service agreement through myTesla it does say: CAD $100 per vehicle per visit. It doesn't say minimum though obviously non-warranty work would be extra.