Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise Reduction Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sound produced in my Roadster 1.5 has always bothered me, but I've been on the fence about whether or not it was bad enough to do something about it. Then I decided to start looking into upgrades and ran across this:

Roadster Upgrades | Tesla Motors

Sadly, after contacting Tesla, they told me that kit hasn't been sold for years. I looked into other shops that might do similar work (Al & Ed's Autosound, other stereo shops, body shops, etc.) but I haven't found anyone that would take it on or felt confident enough that they could.

I've been considering replacing my speakers, but I don't really want to spend the money replacing those unless I can also replace the rattling too. Does anyone know of another vendor that might sell that kit or is it Tesla-specific? Alternatively, I'm in Orange County, CA; I'd be willing to drive as far south as San Diego or out to the Inland Empire (I don't do LA, that's just god awful) to go to a shop that can do the work.

Note: I also searched the forums, and while I did find mention of someone else doing the work by hand on their own, I couldn't find mention of another vendor that would do this work or that sells the kit.

There are numerous posts and even DIY instructions on the forum outlining the successful methods of adding soundproofing, reducing rattles and squeaks! They are buried in the pages of past posts but they are a valuable resource on a soundproofing project. I am sure this info would be very helpful and interesting for you. The forum has more Roadster experts than Tesla at this point. Happy hunting!

I remember long ago seeing the downtown Seattle Sales & Service center working on a custom sound-proofing installation for a prominent customer. Everything was ripped out of the interior, and shiny sound-deadening panels were being added. I don't think it was anything from Tesla Motors. They've since split into separates Sales and Service locations, and are probably overwhelmed with Model S work these days. You might check with Carl Medlock in Seattle, or just find any renowned car stereo installation expert - sound-proofing is probably more of an art than an accessory.

There are numerous posts and even DIY instructions on the forum outlining the successful methods of adding soundproofing, reducing rattles and squeaks! They are buried in the pages of past posts but they are a valuable resource on a soundproofing project. I am sure this info would be very helpful and interesting for you. The forum has more Roadster experts than Tesla at this point. Happy hunting!

That's right. As far as I know hcsharp and dhrivnak are the best experts of TMC on this matter.

Approximately how much weight does soundproofing add and would that weight significantly reduce performance?

I doubt if I added 20 lbs to my car's weight. I used Dynamat Light because it's lighter and I was concerned about weight. I also added 1/2 inch of felt insulation which weighs almost nothing and makes the car a little quieter and warmer in the winter. Dynamat Light is designed for performance cars and supposed to work just as well as regular Dynamat. I'm not entirely convinced of that but hard to say. It also depends on which Roadster you have. The 1.5s need a lot more material than the 2.0 and 2.5 to achieve the same result. The 1.5 also needs to get felt wheel arch liners and I'm not sure Tesla still sells them.

With about 20 lbs of Dynamat and some sound deadening felt one can make a 1.5 quieter than a stock 2.0. It also takes a good 2 days to pull apart the interior and apply. I have a 1.5 and it has made a noticeable difference. Feel free to PM me if you can't find the details posted.

With about 20 lbs of Dynamat and some sound deadening felt one can make a 1.5 quieter than a stock 2.0. It also takes a good 2 days to pull apart the interior and apply. I have a 1.5 and it has made a noticeable difference. Feel free to PM me if you can't find the details posted.

I also have a Roadster 1.5. Wow, two days to pull apart the interior, apply it, and put it back on? Is that because everything is cramped in the Roadster interior? Or is there just that much that needs to be applied?

I doubt if I added 20 lbs to my car's weight. I used Dynamat Light because it's lighter and I was concerned about weight. I also added 1/2 inch of felt insulation which weighs almost nothing and makes the car a little quieter and warmer in the winter. Dynamat Light is designed for performance cars and supposed to work just as well as regular Dynamat. I'm not entirely convinced of that but hard to say. It also depends on which Roadster you have. The 1.5s need a lot more material than the 2.0 and 2.5 to achieve the same result. The 1.5 also needs to get felt wheel arch liners and I'm not sure Tesla still sells them.

How difficult would it be to make my own felt wheel arch liners? Felt is pretty easy to cut, I mean, I just need some scissors. Or am I naive and the arch liners are a bit more complicated than that?

I also have a Roadster 1.5. Wow, two days to pull apart the interior, apply it, and put it back on? Is that because everything is cramped in the Roadster interior? Or is there just that much that needs to be applied?

The interior is quite cramped and some parts like the passenger seat is a bear to pull out. It is two days for someone who has done it. 3 days if doing it the first time. With no manual the Roadster is not the easiest car to work on.

How difficult would it be to make my own felt wheel arch liners? Felt is pretty easy to cut, I mean, I just need some scissors. Or am I naive and the arch liners are a bit more complicated than that?

This is an unknown to me and not sure this will be easy. Now for $50 and a few hours one could line the inside of the plastic with Dynamat. I think I would try that first as the liners have a molded shape to them.

I just had the fender liners replaced in my 2.5 - they are still available, but it takes some time to arrive.

I have never pulled apart the interior of a Tesla Roadster, but if it's anything like my Lotus Elise, it's not that hard. I've taken the seats and interior panels out several times. It's a couple of hours for me. Most There are several threads on Lotustalk.com about it. I used 2 types of materials -- a little square of damping material to reduce resonance on the aluminum floor and underpanels (no need to cover an entire panel. ). Also some sound absorbing mat on under the seats and on the firewall. Under 10 lbs for the whole kit. There are 2 distinct materials: Sound absorbing material blocks sound; damping material stops vibrations on large areas of metal that cause sound.