Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change in Energy Consumption w/ change from 5.9 to 5.12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local Tesla service took my car to repair the frunk crease. I had about 3,700 miles with average of 328 Wh/mi; the car had 5.9 on it. They gave me a loaner, a P85 with 5.12 on it. Consumption averaged around 370 Wh/mi. I assumed it was the souped up motor. However, my car came back with 5.12 installed, and I can't get it down to less than 360 Wh/mi. average. Weather is 70 degrees, and this is without climate on!

Has anyone else noticed an increase in energy consumption when moving to 5.12? I am talking about the "usage since last charge" on the dashboard.

Perhaps this is all my imagination, but it seems like I have lost 10% of my energy efficiency.

We took a short trip of 44 roundtrip miles today, 60 degrees. EVtripplanner says 27 rated miles each way (54 rated miles round trip then). Car used 61 rated miles, but we did have the heat on, so I figure it's about right.

-m

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but check the air pressure. Most likely it's low.

Nope. 45 psi all around. There is definitely something different. Some new way of calculating. One example I have noticed - the car now starts off extremely erratic in wh/m since last charge. Begins at over 1,000 then down to 165 then up to 315 then down to 230 (an example) before settling in in the 370 range. All in the first 0.2 miles (except the settling in part). Never did that before.

Nope. 45 psi all around. There is definitely something different. Some new way of calculating. One example I have noticed - the car now starts off extremely erratic in wh/m since last charge. Begins at over 1,000 then down to 165 then up to 315 then down to 230 (an example) before settling in in the 370 range. All in the first 0.2 miles (except the settling in part). Never did that before.

Sounds like the heater is turning on.

You got the frunk crease fixed? How did they fix it?

My local Tesla service took my car to repair the frunk crease. I had about 3,700 miles with average of 328 Wh/mi; the car had 5.9 on it. They gave me a loaner, a P85 with 5.12 on it. Consumption averaged around 370 Wh/mi. I assumed it was the souped up motor. However, my car came back with 5.12 installed, and I can't get it down to less than 360 Wh/mi. average. Weather is 70 degrees, and this is without climate on!

Has anyone else noticed an increase in energy consumption when moving to 5.12? I am talking about the "usage since last charge" on the dashboard.

Perhaps this is all my imagination, but it seems like I have lost 10% of my energy efficiency.

Last edited:
Turned off the climate system and it is still much worse than historical. It is making me a little crazy. My lifetime average is starting to creep up. Has anyone had something like this happen? My commute and driving haven't changed.

Not sure of how cold it is getting up there but at some point the pack heater is going to kick on if the car has cold soaked. Also your lifetime average is going to creep up a lot over the winter so be prepared for that.