Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S with LumiLor Paint real life Tron light car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is this Model S sorcery? Fascinating paint lights up all over the Tesla, we are living in the Tron age! Just makes you imagine how things will be in the future.

lghtup.JPG

Check out the video:
[video]http://vimeo.com/user26175644/getlit[/video]

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/11/tesla-model-s-electroluminescent-paint-video/

Wow - had no idea such a thing even existed.
Nissan toyed with the idea of releasing the GTR with a crazy $20k paint option that allowed you to vary the color using a dial on the dash. It never came to be, but the general idea has been around and roughly possible for awhile. Not a particularly good source, but it's the first one I turned up: Advanced Paintjob that Changes Colour at the Touch of a Button

This sounds like a EL clearcoat that can be painted on, which is pretty neat. Unfortunately blue lighting on a vehicle is illegal pretty much everywhere in the US, so this would be a great way to get tickets. I'm not sure what other EL colors have been developed... I'm only aware of blue.

What a difference a forum can make. I was just at the Bimmerpost side and saw this Tesla video on vimeo and their thoughts were completely opposite of the thoughts here on this more electric friendly forum. However, I have to side with the bimmer folks and that paint is just too much. It is way too loud and unnecessary but to each their own. I would be surprised to see this was allowed in California streets without repercussions for the owner from law enforcement.

That's really cool that you can do that with a paint coating but it's also really ugly. I wonder how much of the batteries range those lights use? ;)

Probably not much. EL is typically a relatively efficient lighting method (at least in part because it's so dim).

I agree. Cool idea, but poor execution on this example - looks like a Zebra

It does look like a zebra. You could do much cooler stuff than this example, I bet. I was kind of disappointed it was like an animal print instead of a more futuristic design.