Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plantation, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DJ Frustration

Former Model X Sig, Model S, Model 3, Model Y
Jun 19, 2012
Miami, Florida
Yes, sort of. Tesla mentioned to me the possibility of have a series of celebrations when the Nashville to Miami route was completed.

However, in the absence of definitive information our club is frequently forced to make our own plans regarding celebrations.

So from a Florida perspective we are looking at Supercharger events at Tampa, Ocala, DeFuniak Springs, Orlando, Miami and perhaps some turnpike locations, and a store opening in Sarasota all before yearend. We should be real busy celebrating. :wink:

Larry

Supercharger in Miami? Please elaborate.

If you look on the official Tesla supercharger map (Supercharger | Tesla Motors) there is a supercharger in the Miami area on the 2014 map. I think it will actually be slightly north of Miami based on the map, but the maps are approximations, so no one really knows exactly where it will be. Most likely somewhere along I-95.

pgiralt, yes. I'm aware about the dot. It was there, then it disappeared and then it came back. Or maybe I'm just dreaming that. What piqued my interest is the Pres. of the FTE group acknowledging that we'll be celebrating an opening by year's end. That's what I'm looking for elaboration on ;)

I was wondering, in the Tampa thread no less (sorry guys), if there was more info. to share on the Southeast Florida (better name than Miami) supercharger.

If you look on the official Tesla supercharger map (Supercharger | Tesla Motors) there is a supercharger in the Miami area on the 2014 map. I think it will actually be slightly north of Miami based on the map, but the maps are approximations, so no one really knows exactly where it will be. Most likely somewhere along I-95.

pgiralt, yes. I'm aware about the dot. It was there, then it disappeared and then it came back. Or maybe I'm just dreaming that. What piqued my interest is the Pres. of the FTE group acknowledging that we'll be celebrating an opening by year's end. That's what I'm looking for elaboration on ;)

I was wondering, in the Tampa thread no less (sorry guys), if there was more info. to share on the Southeast Florida (better name than Miami) supercharger.

Hi Ethan,

At the risk of further derailing this thread let me apologize if my optimism has caused you some confusion. As pgiralt correctly points out there is a "Miami" dot on the 2014 map. When I included Miami on the list I provided earlier I was merely giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt.

With regard to the disappearing dots, yes, when Tesla revised the map some time ago a couple of dot disappeared. I pointed this out to Tesla and they confirmed to me that they had made some errors and shortly after the dots were reinstated.

Like others I have read about rumors here on TMC that the "Miami" Superchargers will be in Plantation, but I don't have any credible sources to support that rumor yet. A location at the intersection of I-95 and I-595 would be strategic and would be useful at some point in time (but I'm not sure that Plantation is precisely located at that intersection). Personally at this time I would rather see a location closer to the outskirts of Miami such as The Shops at Pembroke Gardens.

Larry

I hear ya Larry. Figured it was just citing Tesla's public "by 2014" map.

I'm pumped for the Tampa charger since I'll be taking a trip to play Streamsong and Innisbrook in a month or so. Hopefully it'll be up and running by then. That way I won't have to drive 50 mph on I-75 north from Ft. Myers to make my destination.

Thanks

Miami Supercharger

In light of the fact that the end of 2014 is less than four months away, I've created this thread to discuss all aspects of the upcoming Miami (area) Supercharger that is planned to come online by the end of 2014**

Here is an animated gif of the Supercharger map's three screens (open now, coming soon and 2014).
output_aBicRE.gif

Please share as much information as possible so the community of EV enthusiasts in Florida and beyond can stay informed. Thanks!

** According to Tesla Motors.

I hear ya Larry. Figured it was just citing Tesla's public "by 2014" map.

I'm pumped for the Tampa charger since I'll be taking a trip to play Streamsong and Innisbrook in a month or so. Hopefully it'll be up and running by then. That way I won't have to drive 50 mph on I-75 north from Ft. Myers to make my destination.

Thanks

Hi Ethan,

As you know there is a chance that Streamsong may consider taking advantage of Tesla's Destination Charging Program.

Larry

Hi Ethan,

As you know there is a chance that Streamsong may consider taking advantage of Tesla's Destination Charging Program.

Larry

That's correct. I had heard from Bonnie that they were. However, my email to the contact at Streamsong asking about it has gone unanswered. As such, I can either call them up, rely on this thread, or make plans assuming no destination charging.

Like others I have read about rumors here on TMC that the "Miami" Superchargers will be in Plantation, but I don't have any credible sources to support that rumor yet. A location at the intersection of I-95 and I-595 would be strategic and would be useful at some point in time (but I'm not sure that Plantation is precisely located at that intersection). Personally at this time I would rather see a location closer to the outskirts of Miami such as The Shops at Pembroke Gardens.

Larry

I have a contact that I can pass along to learn more about this potential location. The Planning, Zoning, and Economic Development Director has told me to call him but I haven't gotten around to it. Willing to share with anyone that wants to follow up. Just PM me.

I have a contact that I can pass along to learn more about this potential location. The Planning, Zoning, and Economic Development Director has told me to call him but I haven't gotten around to it. Willing to share with anyone that wants to follow up. Just PM me.

And I have heard from a reliable source that Plantation is the location for that Supercharger.

The information below was originally posted on the Tampa Thread, I should have posted this here. Thanks for creating this thread.

And I have heard from a reliable source that Plantation is the location for that Supercharger.

Having the SuperCharger in Pembroke Pines off I-75 serves 3 purposes:
1. It's 140 miles from Fort Myers, whereas from Port St.Lucie is 100 miles.
2. It's on the best route for through travelers to the Keys.
3. Most of Dade County Population is west of I-95, the Pembroke Pines location serves both of the busiest highways into Dade County - Palmetto Expressway and Turnpike Homestead extension.

South Florida isn't just the Beaches.

3. Most of Dade County Population is west of I-95, the Pembroke Pines location serves both of the busiest highways into Dade County - Palmetto Expressway and Turnpike Homestead extension.

1 The I-95/595 intersection is 99 miles from Port St Lucie and 123 miles from Ft Myers.
2 True, if you're going to the Keys and don't mind toll roads. If you're going to Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, or Miami, not so much. Can be done, of course, after you backtrack east to I-95.
3 True, but I would venture most of that traffic is local. I-95/595 traffic is from out-of-town or lives near the beach.

If you're not from here, SoFL is just the beaches. :cool:

Right. Another way to put this is to remember that the main use is to continue your travel onward from the Supercharger. The only place to really go past Miami is the Florida Keys, and if you're coming from the North and going to the Keys, you want to take the Turnpike; not 95. To get to the Keys from Orlando, you would take the Turnpike (from the Port St. Lucie Supercharger), and stay away from 95. You can get on and off the Turnpike without paying a toll at the interchange of I-595, which happens to be in Plantation (I'm assuming it would be on University Ave, which is where all of the restaurants and malls are). Also, if you take 595 west from that interchange it "turns into" I-75, which will get you to the Ft. Myers Supercharger in 117 miles. It's also 24 miles from downtown Miami, 10 miles from downtown Ft. Lauderdale, and 29 miles from South Beach.

Right. Another way to put this is to remember that the main use is to continue your travel onward from the Supercharger. The only place to really go past Miami is the Florida Keys, and if you're coming from the North and going to the Keys, you want to take the Turnpike; not 95. To get to the Keys from Orlando, you would take the Turnpike (from the Port St. Lucie Supercharger), and stay away from 95. You can get on and off the Turnpike without paying a toll at the interchange of I-595, which happens to be in Plantation (I'm assuming it would be on University Ave, which is where all of the restaurants and malls are). Also, if you take 595 west from that interchange it "turns into" I-75, which will get you to the Ft. Myers Supercharger in 117 miles. It's also 24 miles from downtown Miami, 10 miles from downtown Ft. Lauderdale, and 29 miles from South Beach.

If you follow this logic, then "Sawgrass Mills Mall" off of the Sawgrass Parkway makes good sense. As I have said earlier, a reliable source has let know that Plantation, FL is the place. Looking at the map, Sawgrass Mills - Google Maps, makes a lot of sense for the Supercharger site in Plantation.

If you follow this logic, then "Sawgrass Mills Mall" off of the Sawgrass Parkway makes good sense. As I have said earlier, a reliable source has let know that Plantation, FL is the place. Looking at the map, Sawgrass Mills - Google Maps, makes a lot of sense for the Supercharger site in Plantation.
Isn't Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise, not in Plantation?

Larry

Sawgrass Mills does fit into the typical site that Tesla has been choosing but I'm not sure if the location is convenient enough. It's not really close enough to I-95 or the Turnpike and it's a full 3 miles from the I-75 / I-595 interchange. Then again, there's no one location you could pick that would cater to all 3 major expressways in the area anyway.

Sawgrass Mills is just outside the city limits of Plantation, but just barely. Pretty sure Plantation city limits are on Flamingo Road which boarders Sawgrass Mills.

If they did build it there, it wouldn't be too bad for my drive down because I'd just take the Sawgrass Expressway to the supercharger, then just keep going down I-75 to 826. It would be worst for anyone who wants to keep going down I-95.