Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

200 Superchargers WORLDWIDE !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We say 200 Superchargers, but even that understates the magnitude of this accomplishment. Each site has 4-8 DC Superchargers: There must be over 1000 worldwide - there is no one that comes close to that sort of Rapid - EV charging network

Amazing! Here's to the next 200 Supercharger sites :biggrin:!

Champagne_200_Superchargers_2014_September.jpg

I vividly remember when there were none.

And one day, when SC's are as ubiquitous as gas stations are now, (not that we'll need as many, the grid is already there), we'll think back to today and feel like pioneers.

Just as when our forefathers had to buy gasoline in hardware stores along the route ...

I am sticking with 9/24/12.

I understand your point in using the announcement for the anniversary date, but that would be like using 2/9/2012 as the start date for the Model X.

I prefer to use the date of first public availability, or first customer delivery as the start date. That would be 11/19/12 for Superchargers, and we are not there yet for the Model X.

Thanks for the Supercharger Video link. I remember that announcement well. I had taken delivery of my Model S a couple of weeks earlier, and the Supercharger announcement absolutely thrilled me!!

Below are two screen captures from the Supercharger video. It looks like Tesla is actually outperforming the video claims in terms of Supercharger install rates. The "Within Two Years" slide has a count of 86 Superchargers, and the "Long Term Plan" slide has 147. Tesla has been the former in North American installs already and the latter in world wide installs.

Tesla is not even close to their claims on Solar PV electricity production in the video, but I am willing to let them slide on that one.

2012 Superchargers Two Years.jpg

2012 Superchargers Long Term.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a theoretical exercise. If we were to have superchargers that are no more than 50 miles apart in every direction - something that will make the gen 3 folks comfortable - how many super chargers are needed in the lower 48? 500 may be?

Here is a theoretical exercise. If we were to have superchargers that are no more than 50 miles apart in every direction - something that will make the gen 3 folks comfortable - how many super chargers are needed in the lower 48? 500 may be?

I think every 100 miles is more than adequate for comfort. Given approx 48,000 miles in the US Interstate system 500 would be more than enough.

I disagree with Kevin Harney that 100 mile intervals are enough for comfort, as people with S60s and Model 3s should be able to easily go out from and return to a SC year round without having to drive beyond their destination to charge. The ultimate goal should be a robust infrastructure that provides anxiety-free convenience as closely comparable to gas as possible.

Done the calc before, but here it is again. The Interstate system is 47k and change, but the primary (1 and 2 digit) interstates are probably around 45k, and we can ignore the 2k+ of the mostly urban secondary (3 digit) interstates. So, 45,000/50 miles is 900 SC sites. Going to an average interval of 30 miles, as is typical on rural interstates, takes 1,500 sites. Adding the same again for U.S., state and local highways gives 1,800/3,000, but round that up to 2,500/5,000 just to be cautious. By comparison, there are somewhere around 100k gas stations in the U.S., but the majority of those are in urban locations to serve local driving and aren't needed by most Tesla owners, who can charge at home.

Last edited:
I disagree with Kevin Harney that 100 mile intervals are enough for comfort, as people with S60s and Model 3s should be able to easily go out from and return to a SC year round without having to drive beyond their destination to charge. The ultimate goal should be a robust infrastructure that provides anxiety-free convenience as closely comparable to gas as possible.

Done the calc before, but here it is again. The Interstate system is 47k and change, but the primary (1 and 2 digit) interstates are probably around 45k, and we can ignore the 2k+ of the mostly urban secondary (3 digit) interstates. So, 45,000/50 miles is 900 SC sites. Going to an average interval of 30 miles, as is typical on rural interstates, takes 1,500 sites. Adding the same again for U.S., state and local highways gives 1,800/3,000, but round that up to 2,500/5,000 just to be cautious. By comparison, there are somewhere around 100k gas stations in the U.S., but the majority of those are in urban locations to serve local driving and aren't needed by most Tesla owners, who can charge at home.

I used 100 miles as I believe that M60s can do 140 miles with ease in bad conditions. That gives a 40-50 mile buffer. If I am wrong someone with a M60 please let me know.