Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YYZ Charging Stations Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I flew to Toronto a few days ago and stayed there for 2 nights. On my way from Terminal 1 to pickup my rental car, in the 2nd floor tunnel that takes you to the parking area, I saw 4 Teslas charging from the glass that overlooks the chargers. I was amazed and wondered what are the odds to have 4 of them at the airport at a given time.

After my stay, on my way back to the terminal, I saw 2 of them are still plugged (which answers my previous concern!); who knows since when they've been plugged. Is that even OK? To keep your car plugged in for days?! Can you keep a charger to yourself for all that time? To me, this doesn't make any sense because what if someone who really needs a charge finds all the spots are taken by Teslas that are already fully charged? I would be as upset as if the spots are ICEd.

It's not as if the car would be dead by the time you come back! I personally was out of the country for 3 weeks since the 16th of August and my car was parked at the Park N'Fly near YOW and it had 200KM left when I came back. Our cars only drain ~3KM/day, and I kept waking it up every 2 days. This is decent if you ask me.

What do you guys think?

Khalid

+1...Toronto is in definite need of a large bank of 110v outlets, especially for those folks who fly south for a week or two in the winter...I read somewhere that the San Diego airport had done it up right installing many 110v plugs...kind of ironic that a warm weather location like SD would be so responsive, yet a cold weather locale like TO miss the mark...

Toronto should learn from this...

At airports, I'd like to see lots and lots of cheap 110v outlets.

I agree that L2 charging at the airport seems like an expensive use of resources.

• Love
Reactions: corlaandstan
It's probably enough, most of the time, to keep the car's charge level from slumping.

The car does not attempt to heat the battery with a 120 Volt trickle charge. I bet at the low charge rate of about 3 mph, charging can safely continue down to a very low temperature.

Does anyone have experience with 120 Volt charging at low temperatures? This would be a good experiment for this winter.

In my case getting an L2 charge is important. Last winter I took a cold weather trip to the airport. I would not have made it back home without charging for an hour or so. I do agree that for the most part this is the exception rather than the rule. Lots of 110V plugs with some L2 chargers with something like a 4 hour limit seems like the best mix.

I flew to Toronto a few days ago and stayed there for 2 nights. On my way from Terminal 1 to pickup my rental car, in the 2nd floor tunnel that takes you to the parking area, I saw 4 Teslas charging from the glass that overlooks the chargers. I was amazed and wondered what are the odds to have 4 of them at the airport at a given time.

I *think* they are parked there by the valet service, not by the owners. I don't think those spots are accessible by the public (at least I've never rolled up to them and I'm at Pearson almost weekly).

They probably think they're doing the owners a favour by plugging them in for so long, even if it is completely unnecessary (most likely).

I *think* they are parked there by the valet service, not by the owners. I don't think those spots are accessible by the public (at least I've never rolled up to them and I'm at Pearson almost weekly).

They probably think they're doing the owners a favour by plugging them in for so long, even if it is completely unnecessary (most likely).

In the winter, I drain most of the charge getting to the airport in the winter, and need a full charge to get home.
If you're plugging in your Tesla, you are allowed to drive in and park on your own - you don't need to use the Valet service.

I've been flying a lot and have returned home numerous times to find my car unplugged from the charger so that someone else can use it. I've had a full charge every time, so I'm fairly certain the valet folks pay attention to how long a car has been plugged in. The cords stretch out to other parking spots that aren't reserved for EV, so I think they simply move a car or two around to make space when needed, though I can't be sure.

YYZ charging is very poorly set up. You can park at the charge stations yourself but its not well known with no signage. You have to drive in the short term park area, through the valet area that has a a big red light saying no entry. I tried to park with my Volt and all spots were taken. Even the cord reachable adjacent non-EV spots were occupied by non-valet ICE cars so they could not move them. Because I had an electric car and all chargers were taken and I was tight for time, I was told I could stay in the short term area as long as I came back at the end of my trip to change my ticket to long term. When I cam back the person at the valet desk said I was supposed to get my ticket changed over to long term beforehand but they changed it for me anyway. It worked out but the cost could have been astronomical if I wasn't able to get my ticket changed.

I agree 110V would suffice in many cases, especially for Volts.

Last winter with the Model S, I tried charging overnight outdoors at 110V in -30 C and got basically no charge.

Last winter with the Model S, I tried charging overnight outdoors at 110V in -30 C and got basically no charge.

I live close to the airport, so I could get by with "no charge" as opposed to the drop you would otherwise get in the cold. In warmer months, I've plugged in to 120v and gained range, so during much of the year, it would be okay for an airline trip.

I live close to the airport, so I could get by with "no charge" as opposed to the drop you would otherwise get in the cold. In warmer months, I've plugged in to 120v and gained range, so during much of the year, it would be okay for an airline trip.

I use the YYZ valet almost weekly now a days, and usually they move the car into the charge spot the day before you say you are returning. If you want to use one the charge spots (not as valet), walk into the doors near those chargers on the right and ask the valet to move one of the cars there. (Valet is free with Amex plus 15% discount from daily rate, so brings it closer to the in garage longer term rates).

Hi there,

I'm pondering our options for a trip during our Spring break (March 1-10) and it turns out that airfares are about 1/3 of the price if we fly from Toronto Pearson rather than Montréal. Montréal-Toronto fights are not as cheap as usual at these dates (although it's better if purchased separately). So I'm also considering driving to YYZ and park there.

I searched treads about long-term parking near the airport with a possibility of plugging. As mentioned by a few people above, the ideal would be 120V plugs. I was wondering if there is any new possibilities, since the threads about it are a bit dated.

I've seen this Park'N Fly with Valet service who can periodically plug the car. This is my probably my best option so far. I see on Plugshare an underground parking South of the airport, and a few hotels who I may ask. Any other suggestion?

Of course, I could just let the car in a standard parking lot for a week, but that would involve charging both just before arrival and, given the "vampire losses", sometime after leaving, which adds 40-60 min. on a 500 km trip each way.

Hi there,

I'm pondering our options for a trip during our Spring break (March 1-10) and it turns out that airfares are about 1/3 of the price if we fly from Toronto Pearson rather than Montréal. Montréal-Toronto fights are not as cheap as usual at these dates (although it's better if purchased separately). So I'm also considering driving to YYZ and park there.

I searched treads about long-term parking near the airport with a possibility of plugging. As mentioned by a few people above, the ideal would be 120V plugs. I was wondering if there is any new possibilities, since the threads about it are a bit dated.

I've seen this Park'N Fly with Valet service who can periodically plug the car. This is my probably my best option so far. I see on Plugshare an underground parking South of the airport, and a few hotels who I may ask. Any other suggestion?

Of course, I could just let the car in a standard parking lot for a week, but that would involve charging both just before arrival and, given the "vampire losses", sometime after leaving, which adds 40-60 min. on a 500 km trip each way.

I have used park n fly valet a few times and they have been great. I just used the kiosk and checked EV charging and the car was always topped up by the time I got back.

Just make sure you have a discount code becuse they are super expensive

Reactions: MrShakeHands