Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No motion sensors for Map?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just using the map. In Japan navigation is not yet available.

We have a lot of tall buildings in the city and many times the car icon drifts out of the road on the map. So there might be two things:

1. No accelometer in the map? Or only navigation can use the accelometer?
2. Does the map have "map matching"? GPS sometimes drifts a few meters, does it try to keep the car on the road?

Thanks @bollar and @aviators99! Will look forward to having the navigation feature with the future updates.

BTW does somebody noticed "map matching"? If you drive small streets my car sometimes moves on buildings not the roads. I haven't seen this in any car nav systems before.

Thanks @bollar and @aviators99! BTW does somebody noticed "map matching"? If you drive small streets my car sometimes moves on buildings not the roads. I haven't seen this in any car nav systems before.

When driving in Chicago, my Prius will get really confused and have me driving through buildings at 45 degree angles to the street until it gets a good satellite fix once I'm away from the tall buildings. I think it's due to having to turn through too many levels in a parking garage, and the errors in the motion sensors add up to the point where the navigation just gives up.

Long tunnels in Boston, MA area work fine with the GPS and track progress (going to Logan for example). And in those tunnels GPS can't be received so it must be tracking another way. The nav screen on the dash even pops up a cool pic.
IMG_4255.jpg