Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPod / iPhone / USB stick on the Roadster 2 with Blaupunkt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just got my Roadster (yay!) with the Blaupunkt NAV unit and USB connector. Both my iPhone and my iPod Nano (latest gen) don't work with it. The Nano starts charging, but doesn't want to get away from the 'connected' screen and the iPhone doesn't do anything at all...

Then, when I plug in a USB stick with some MP3s one there, it plays the music in the first directory, but nothing else. I can't skip or anything using the stereo system.

Apart from putting all my music in the root of the USB stick, is there anything I can do to get my iPod or iPhone to play, or to play all music from the USB stick?

thanks!
Alef

Alef,

welcome!
Nice to hear that you have your Roadster.
Which VIN do you have, and how long was your wait?
Which country are you in?

As for the iPhone/iPod I cant say anything because I dont own them. But I am sure that you get a response soon.

As for the USB stick:
Its a crappy solution.
It seems that the USB-connection on the Blaupunkt is emulated as an external CD-Changer.
I managed that the following solution is working: I have my mysic not in the root, but in several different folders (no Sub-folders!) on the USB-stick.
I have to connect the USB stick BEFORE turning on the blaupunkt. When changing source, it starts to play the tracks in the first folder. By pressing the "change CD" button (dont know excactly now where, you have to experiment there), it jumps to a different folder. Must not be the next, can also be the last, etc.
Its a crappy solution, but I have managed to play music at different folders. But I had problems when the USB stick is connected when the blaupunkt was already booted ...

iPhone on Blaupunkt

Alef

When my Roadster was delivered, the Bluetooth interface of the Blaupunkt was not installed and i could not use the iPhone or iPod at all. Thanks to the Tesla techs Andi and Rudi everything works as it should now. With the Bluetooth you can make your calls handsfree, and play all your music over the stereo. Pairing had to be done twice, but works perfect now.The sound quality is not too bad (of course it could be better with a direct link). I'm not able to change songs / lists via the Blaupunkt though. I don't think it is possible to connect the iPhone / iPod to the Blaupunkt over the USB. Just forget the MP3 USB stick solution, sound quality is bad, and you can't really acces to all of your songs as you whish, it's quite random.

If you got the Bluetooth, there should be a blue plastic button at the left side of the steering column.

Best

Lukas

My brother had this stereo in his last car. I remember the issue with trying to access all the tracks on a memory stick, but one thing he later said was that he couldn't use his iPod and the bluetooth at the same time. Is that the case or was he just unlucky?

Alef,

welcome!
Nice to hear that you have your Roadster.
Which VIN do you have, and how long was your wait?
Which country are you in?

I have number 140 out of 250 (European Signature I guess this is), color electric blue. I originally placed my reservation early September and I think I locked in somewhere end of September. Received the car, last weekend. Got my license plates this weekend (it takes about a week here).

I'm in the Netherlands. As far as I know, there are about 7 Roadster on the road now and another 10 on the way or so.

I'm working with Rogier Kroymans (sales manager benelux for Tesla) occasionally. We had a booth at a big fair this weekend and got quite a few people interesting, so that was cool...

As for the iPhone/iPod I cant say anything because I dont own them. But I am sure that you get a response soon.

As for the USB stick:
Its a crappy solution.
It seems that the USB-connection on the Blaupunkt is emulated as an external CD-Changer.
I managed that the following solution is working: I have my mysic not in the root, but in several different folders (no Sub-folders!) on the USB-stick.
I have to connect the USB stick BEFORE turning on the blaupunkt. When changing source, it starts to play the tracks in the first folder. By pressing the "change CD" button (dont know excactly now where, you have to experiment there), it jumps to a different folder. Must not be the next, can also be the last, etc.
Its a crappy solution, but I have managed to play music at different folders. But I had problems when the USB stick is connected when the blaupunkt was already booted ...

Haha, that's quite a bit of work ;-). I'll try the bluetooth solution posted above. I noticed the quality isn't that good when connecting to USB anyway. Heck, maybe I'll even change the unit all together some time in the future.

Well, it's working now... I had the iPhone 3.0 software installed, but apparently it needed another upgrade to 3.1.2 to get it to work. Bluetooth streaming has some hickups here and there, but the quality is certainly a lot better than the USB connector!