Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB rear facing seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow canucks,

Just putting a pointer here to my thread in the wanted to buy section. My wife and I are expecting twins and we've decided to hang onto the Model S. We already have 3 kids so that means we're going to need two more seats. :)

If you ticked all the boxes when you ordered your car and wish you hadn't or no longer need your rear facing seats please reply to my thread in the Marketplace or PM me. Thanks!!!

rear facing seats

The reason why Tesla doesn't offer an upgrade to the child seats after shipping the car came to light in this forum some time ago. As I recall, the crash protection is set up differently depending on whether the child seats are present or not. When they are not present, it is advantageous to provide a longer crumple zone...

The reason why Tesla doesn't offer an upgrade to the child seats after shipping the car came to light in this forum some time ago. As I recall, the crash protection is set up differently depending on whether the child seats are present or not. When they are not present, it is advantageous to provide a longer crumple zone...
. Not sure why there are two threads on the exact same request. But as I stated in the other thread, all early VINs up to around 5400 were built with reinforced bumpers. There are old threads confirming this and confirming that Tesla service centers did add seats into some cars post-delivery.

. Not sure why there are two threads on the exact same request. But as I stated in the other thread, all early VINs up to around 5400 were built with reinforced bumpers. There are old threads confirming this and confirming that Tesla service centers did add seats into some cars post-delivery.

I simply put a pointer to my WTB thread in the Canada section because it makes geographic sense and lots of Canadians read the Canada seciton and I doubt people browse the WTB section all that much.

I already confirmed with the service center that in my case I can add the seats.

Congratulations!! I bought my Tesla when my wife was expecting so to me the 2 extra seats were a must in my buying decision at that time.

I remember when I was contacting Tesla (Toronto) to check inventory vehicles, and the possibility of installing the seats later if I go with a car without them, I was told NO at the beginning, but a month later I was told that there is a new upgrade option that you can get at the service center. It was around $3500 or so. Not sure why they didn't offer you a quote...

I simply put a pointer to my WTB thread in the Canada section because it makes geographic sense and lots of Canadians read the Canada seciton and I doubt people browse the WTB section all that much.

I already confirmed with the service center that in my case I can add the seats.

Great news! I know the early cars all had the rear reinforcement.

Oh - and CONGRATULATIONS on the twins!

- - - Updated - - -

I was told NO at the beginning, but a month later I was told that there is a new upgrade option that you can get at the service center. It was around $3500 or so. Not sure why they didn't offer you a quote...

Interesting. Maybe they've come up with a way to retrofit all cars.

Ok, that makes sense. I was reading from my iPhone and didn't realize that you had the posts in different forums.

Let us know how the process goes when you get the seats installed. I'm VIN 5044 and am in the same boat as you and eventually wanting to add the seats when my twins are old and big enough.

Congratulations!! I bought my Tesla when my wife was expecting so to me the 2 extra seats were a must in my buying decision at that time.

I remember when I was contacting Tesla (Toronto) to check inventory vehicles, and the possibility of installing the seats later if I go with a car without them, I was told NO at the beginning, but a month later I was told that there is a new upgrade option that you can get at the service center. It was around $3500 or so. Not sure why they didn't offer you a quote...

Not sure if the above was meant for me, but they did off me a quote. It was about that same as yours (depending on if I needed a certain part). Just hoping that if I can find a used set of seats I can probably save a bunch.

Not sure if the above was meant for me, but they did off me a quote. It was about that same as yours (depending on if I needed a certain part). Just hoping that if I can find a used set of seats I can probably save a bunch.

Yes, I was referring to you :) . I think if you have the supported rear bumper you should pay less than $3,500. Good luck!

initially they said no, but now they actually do do the retrofits and install the double bumpers too.