Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Anxiety in desert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I asked re route suggestions for Paso RObles to Tucson, and a couple of you were very helpful. However, I'm wondering, after a night of charging at Indian Wells Resort near Palm Springs, how's that long leg til Quartsite, it's over 200 miles and up hill at parts - anyone have experience in that?

Also has everyone had the underbody shield applied, I haven't done this yet.

thanks,

stacie:rolleyes:

Indian Wells to Quartzsite is 128 miles, not 200...

There is one major uphill section coming out of Indio. If for some reason you don't feel comfortable, there is an HPWC at Chiriaco Summit (I believe they charge $10 to use it...).

After Chiriaco Summit, its downhill to the Colorado River. Quartzsite is ~20 miles into AZ and is uphill.

Hi,

I asked re route suggestions for Paso RObles to Tucson, and a couple of you were very helpful. However, I'm wondering, after a night of charging at Indian Wells Resort near Palm Springs, how's that long leg til Quartsite, it's over 200 miles and up hill at parts - anyone have experience in that?

Also has everyone had the underbody shield applied, I haven't done this yet.

thanks,

stacie:rolleyes:

Do it all the time. Easy, peasy.:smile:

Indian Wells to Quartzsite is 128 miles, not 200...

There is one major uphill section coming out of Indio. If for some reason you don't feel comfortable, there is an HPWC at Chiriaco Summit (I believe they charge $10 to use it.

5 bucks to use, plus 5 bucks per hour. If you use it two hours, total is $15. If you have only one inverter, it becomes 4 hours and $25. This makes the gas station think this is a good deal, and why I think all EV charge points need to be free: You get $3 worth of electricity, plus someone to watch the HPWC across the street, hold the special key so no one gets to use it that doesn't pay, collection and recording of fees, special metering of the HPWC, special billing of same, and payment to the utility.

When HPWC purchases and installs cost thousands of dollars, why not pay a few bucks for the first five years' juice and convince the town (a truck stop, a restaurant, and a Sherman Tank museum) that the increase of business is worth the cost of advertising?? I personally know that sitting in an EV charging for a couple hours, people that own a Tesla will probably get out and peruse, buy junk food at the truck stop (high profit), likely buy a meal at the restaurant, and maybe while away a few minutes at the museum. If you are really lucky, you might get to watch the electric tower maintenance helicopter sling a worker to a tower a mile away to work on the lines! And you find that if you only have one inverter, it takes twice as long. (There's a lesson here, somewhere)