Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Misaligned door/Protruding panel/Pitted aluminum result

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have discovered a very disconcerting issue occurring with my MS. It seems the rear door is extended outward slightly lining up with the front door and the bottom 8 inches or so of the aluminum is pitting with paint damage as a result. I was in the Devon SC a few days ago for a tire issue and when I pointed out this problem I was told it would be referred to a manager and I would be contacted about the issue.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their MS?

I feel this is a factory and manufacturing issue and I hope Tesla does the right thing by me and this model and takes care of the problem while it's still under warranty.

Attachments

• IMAG0586_1.jpg
    IMAG0586_1.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 1,532
I have discovered a very disconcerting issue occurring with my MS. It seems the rear door is extended outward slightly lining up with the front door and the bottom 8 inches or so of the aluminum is pitting with paint damage as a result.

That is not a slight misalignment. That is huge. Practically the entire face of the sheet metal, plus it wraparound, is exposed. Painful to look at, even if it was all dinged up. I hope they take care of it for you.

Hello Nick....love the book thanks! This MS was built 8/13 and it's VIN is just under 18K so not really one of the early build models. Mileage of 13k presently and you can see the result in my photo of kicking up debris into the extended door lip.

I, too hope they stand behind their product and do the right thing here....still awaiting to hear something.

Hi Pete....well I bought an inventory vehicle with 12k miles on it and I've only put 800 miles on it since taking ownership just a little over 2 months ago. I discovered it recently probably during the 2nd or 3rd hand wash and it was a disturbing find as you can imagine.

I haven't noticed any wind noise, but clearly and strangely it is forcing tiny rocks and debris into the hinge causing damage and well you've seen my photo I'm sure....

Hi Pete....well I bought an inventory vehicle with 12k miles on it and I've only put 800 miles on it since taking ownership just a little over 2 months ago. I discovered it recently probably during the 2nd or 3rd hand wash and it was a disturbing find as you can imagine.

I haven't noticed any wind noise, but clearly and strangely it is forcing tiny rocks and debris into the hinge causing damage and well you've seen my photo I'm sure....

Ah, that makes sense, I thought you'd been living with it that way for almost a year (based on the VIN). I'm sure they'll get you sorted out, this sort of thing should have been spotted by Tesla on the PDI, as I'm sure much of that damage was already evident.

It is terrible alignment. The rear door actually sits lower and you can actually see it at the bottom at the chrome lip in my photo and it's very obvious looking at the vehicle from the side. Also I've noticed an oversized gap between the doors, as compared to the other side, particularly at the top where a lot of black inside door molding is visible.

I can't believe a week has past and Tesla hasn't gotten back to me on the issue. Maybe my expectations are really high based on what I've heard and read about the service and experience with Tesla and up until this point I feel Tesla has been pretty great for the most part. I'll likely need to make a call this week it seems.

It is terrible alignment. The rear door actually sits lower and you can actually see it at the bottom at the chrome lip in my photo and it's very obvious looking at the vehicle from the side. Also I've noticed an oversized gap between the doors, as compared to the other side, particularly at the top where a lot of black inside door molding is visible.

I can't believe a week has past and Tesla hasn't gotten back to me on the issue. Maybe my expectations are really high based on what I've heard and read about the service and experience with Tesla and up until this point I feel Tesla has been pretty great for the most part. I'll likely need to make a call this week it seems.
With some experience in this area, I can say these "case-by-case" evaluations can sometimes take a few weeks to get all the necessary approvals for a body shop repair. That said, I'd definitely follow up just to ensure the process is moving along.

I received a call from the SC a couple days ago at which time I was very happy to hear something regarding this issue and I was told management gave the approval to set up an appointment for my MS to be picked up at my home on one of their flat-bed trailers I assume with a loaner provided and it will be taken to 'Tesla's body shop' for an evaluation.

I am hoping that they will examine the problem and rectify it at their body shop, but that wasn't clearly mentioned only that they will have the body shop look at the problem. I have 2 months to inquire and obtain clarification though as the appointment isn't until mid-November.

I have discovered a very disconcerting issue occurring with my MS. It seems the rear door is extended outward slightly lining up with the front door and the bottom 8 inches or so of the aluminum is pitting with paint damage as a result. I was in the Devon SC a few days ago for a tire issue and when I pointed out this problem I was told it would be referred to a manager and I would be contacted about the issue.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their MS?

I feel this is a factory and manufacturing issue and I hope Tesla does the right thing by me and this model and takes care of the problem while it's still under warranty.

This is not a Model S door! The model S has a very pronounced concave line on the front door closure line when viewed from this angle. How about posting a photo from farther away!!???

Wow!! Really!!??? I even posted an update 5 days ago describing the communication with the SC and where the issue stands presently. I assure you it's a MS door. And in my photo the lower curved line in the door construction is evident in the left most area of the photo consistent with the MS and NOT a continuous curve. Adding, isn't the chrome strip below the doors obvious and consistent with the MS.

I may post further evidence, but may not as clearly your posts aren't helpful and merely negative.

Think before you speak!!???

Wow!! Really!!??? I even posted an update 5 days ago describing the communication with the SC and where the issue stands presently. I assure you it's a MS door. And in my photo the lower curved line in the door construction is evident in the left most area of the photo consistent with the MS and NOT a continuous curve. Adding, isn't the chrome strip below the doors obvious and consistent with the MS.

I may post further evidence, but may not as clearly your posts aren't helpful and merely negative.

Think before you speak!!???

If it's the lighting and angle, then please, post a clearer, wider photo; otherwise, I think you are just another troll. Here's a photo of a white MS that clearly shows a different door design than the one you're showing.

Attachments

• White MS.jpg
    White MS.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 309
IMAG0585.jpg
Thank you J1mbo!!! And to steal a line from Joe Pesci in 'My Cousin Vinny" ...."I think it's time for some thicker glasses sweetheart"

- - - Updated - - -

May I ask those doubters a question as it relates to this thread.....

Do you like apples?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait...here's the other side
IMAG0678.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

How bout them apples!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Be helpful, not a doubter or hater! Of course you should know that already though....

nice try, but your problem just magically disappeared with these new photos since neither rear doors are protruding and scraping against the front door. Isn't your appointment in mid November?

since you are into continuing this ruse, take a photo from the same angle and side but with a wider shot. Do that and if it looks the same as the original photo then I'll take back what I've posted. But even with these 2 photos it just proves that this is BS.

Last edited: