Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking From Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have noticed recently that when we first start the car after it has been sitting (either overnight or not driven for several hours) that on initial turning of wheels that there are clicking noises coming from what sounds like the suspension system. Anyone else?

I'd have to go back thru my service emails. But I think they replaced part of it. Honestly, if I'd had a gas car I probably wouldn't have even heard the noise. As it only happened at slow speeds when I cranked the wheel real hard one way. Like when I was backing out of my drive way.

Yes, I had this problem too and SC adjusted the steering rack and pinion. it would travel too far at the limits.

But, if you hear the "click" just when starting from slow speed, it is likely the other problem.

I've seen two causes for the noise:

Steering rack touching something, fixed by adding a washer to one of the rack mounts.

Subframe bolts not torqued properly. Fixed by tightening bolts.

Mine needed the second fix. No noise since the fix.

This is a common problem that can easily be fixed by Tesla service. It has to do with the mounting points between the steering rack and the car's frame. The current engineering design has minimal surface area at these mounting points. When you turn the steering wheel while the car is stationary, significant lateral force is applied across these mounts, causing the two surfaces to rub against each other, creating the clicking sound. It is by no means dangerous. The fix involves a shim and a special grease.

This is not the same issue as the drive train click or clunk when starting up from a stop.