Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which will be the first to deliver one unit, Apple Watch or Tesla Model X?

Which will be the first to deliver?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple is great at meeting publicly announced release dates. Tesla utterly sucks at the same thing.

Meeting the announced release date is one thing... getting product into the hands of people is another. The iPhone 5S launch was completely botched, with product shortages lasting weeks. By the looks of things, the iPhone 6/6+ pre-order event was an IT disaster last night (again).

I expect the watch to be released first. However, I expect that Model X buyers to be much more happy with their purchase.

Think the real question is which one will you own first. Easy answer for me: Model X.

I think wearables are just a fad. People buy them (Nike Fuel band, FitBit etc.), use them religiously for a couple of months. And then the devices just start gathering dust in the corner. And even if there was the perfect device, the question remains about how much data we really need.

My iPhone can be buried in my purse or left at home and ignored. I don't want to be forced to wear a smart watch only because it's the only way to access my house|car|thermostat|whatever.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/the-future-of-wearable-tech/

Think the real question is which one will you own first. Easy answer for me: Model X.

I think wearables are just a fad. People buy them (Nike Fuel band, FitBit etc.), use them religiously for a couple of months. And then the devices just start gathering dust in the corner. And even if there was the perfect device, the question remains about how much data we really need.

I agree with Bonnie. I too will have a Model-X before an Apple Watch. The current version of the Apple Watch may be a fad (along with the fitbit like devices), but wearables in general are not a fad. I wear a Basis Peak watch everyday (since Jan 2014) to monitor my vitals, and track how well I sleep. On occasion, I glance at it to see who is calling or check the latest calendar/Email notification. After a few years worth of data collection, trends should develop and I should be able to extract useful/tangible information. The Basis Peak is the first serious wearable and there will be better models to come in the future that will show people the true value of this segment.

Otherwise, until the battery life of the Apple Watch is extended to 2-3 days, I don't consider it a serious wearable (and wouldn't consider purchasing it). It would be comparable to saying that a Nissan Leaf is a serious EV (no offence to the Nissan Leaf).

I wear a Basis Peak watch everyday (since Jan 2014) to monitor my vitals, and track how well I sleep.

You're an exception. A large number of people cast their wearable aside at some point. Forget to charge, don't want to wear it in a specific social situation, etc. And obviously it has to do with long-term value (something you're experiencing). But (imo) too many manufacturers are deciding that they need to offer a wearable, without thinking about 'what is the best solution for this problem'. It might be a wearable, it might be a passive sensor that sits near the bedside requiring nothing of the user.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/01/wearables-consumers-abandoning-devices-galaxy-gear
found that one-third of American consumers who have owned a wearable product stopped using it within six months. What's more, while one in 10 American adults own some form of activity tracker, half of them no longer use it.

My iPhone can be buried in my purse or left at home and ignored. I don't want to be forced to wear a smart watch only because it's the only way to access my house|car|thermostat|whatever.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/the-future-of-wearable-tech/

Nobody forces me to wear my current watch, but I put it on every day. I can't imagine why I won't do the same with my Apple watch.

I'll have you know I'm less than a month away from a 1 year streak with my Fuelband.

Harumph.

A large number of people cast their wearable aside at some point. Forget to charge, don't want to wear it in a specific social situation, etc. And obviously it has to do with long-term value (something you're experiencing). But (imo) too many manufacturers are deciding that they need to offer a wearable, without thinking about 'what is the best solution for this problem'. It might be a wearable, it might be a passive sensor that sits near the bedside requiring nothing of the user.

I think we are saying the same thing Bonnie. There isn't a wearable out today (with the exception of the Basis Watch) that meets the minimal criteria for being a useful device. Therefore, very few consumers actually use them beyond a few months.

I also agree that manufacturers are all jumping on the band wagon (probably mostly due to fear of Apple dominating the field) without giving any thought of how such a wearable should be used.

I do think that Apple has a very interesting device (and potential), its just that the battery life is much too short and its lacking some refinements, similar to how most of their first-generation products are under-developed. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd generation Apple watch might be worth something.

Model-X

Last edited:
You're an exception. A large number of people cast their wearable aside at some point. Forget to charge, don't want to wear it in a specific social situation, etc. And obviously it has to do with long-term value (something you're experiencing). But (imo) too many manufacturers are deciding that they need to offer a wearable, without thinking about 'what is the best solution for this problem'. It might be a wearable, it might be a passive sensor that sits near the bedside requiring nothing of the user.

I'll have you know I'm less than a month away from a 1 year streak with my Fuelband.

I think we are saying the same thing Bonnie. There isn't a wearable out today (with the exception of the Basis Watch) that meets the minimal criteria for being a useful device. Therefore, very few consumers actually use them beyond a few months.

I also agree that manufacturers are all jumping on the band wagon (probably mostly due to fear of Apple dominating the field) without giving any thought of how such a wearable should be used.

I do think that Apple has a very interesting device (and potential), its just that the battery life is much too short and its lacking some refinements, similar to how most of their first-generation products are under-developed. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd generation Apple watch might be worth something.

Model-X

I've used my Fitbit One every day since August 2013 with the exception of vacations that involved wearing a swimsuit and getting wet. My wife has been using hers for since 2011 (she is on her second Fitbit). The device does exactly what I need it to do which is track my steps, floors climbed, and estimate my calories burned. I use the app extensively when trying to lose weight and have been very successful when doing so.

However since Fitbit has decided to not integrate with the Apple HealthKit, I am looking forward to the Apple Watch to track my activity, give me a simple interface to the common things I look at my phone to do, and open up new interesting uses of a smart watch.