Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The possibility of superchargers at the redeveloped Hooksett NH I93 rest areas (north and south bound sides) has been discussed over here.

I think it is time to start this thread, despite no 'dot' on Tesla's map.

The site plans of the two rest areas appear to show both the transformer location and the pedestal locations.
NB.jpg
SB.jpg

I have an email from David Smith, the engineering contact listed on the DOT site. He indicated that agreement had been reached with Tesla for EV stations at the facilities..

David also indicated that the site developer is working on agreements for other EV charging.

I have been asking for AT LEAST a red dot on the map for this location for a year and all of a sudden it's "real"!? I don't know....I feel like it's too good to be true!

The "discovery" was explained on another thread...

I was helping out at a Tesla test drive event in Vermont on 8/29-30. A guy walked up to me and identified himself as a subcontractor at Hookset, involved in work unrelated to Tesla. He told me that he thought a Supercharger was going in at both Hookset rest areas. He said he would check with the general contractor on Monday and get back to me. And he did. The GC told him, "Yes, a six-bay supercharger at both sites."

I, too, have been badgering Tesla about Hookset. It's the most important location between Burlington and Boston. Tesla may have a reason for keeping this under the radar for the moment. Perhaps the utility has been dragging their feet. But I will be very surprised if it doesn't get built.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I think you guys are going to be disappointed. While at an EV event this weekend, I spoke with someone in the know with the NH DOT and she confirmed that there are definitely going to be 6 Level 2 chargers on each side, but no specific "Tesla Superchargers."

(LMB spouse)

Hi Bhuwan! There are six small gray rectangles just below the vertical lane lines in the first picture. These are located where the charge pedestals are usually positioned.
Now that you mentioned it, that's the first time I noticed those little rectangles...

Sorry, but I think you guys are going to be disappointed. While at an EV event this weekend, I spoke with someone in the know with the NH DOT and she confirmed that there are definitely going to be 6 Level 2 chargers on each side, but no specific "Tesla Superchargers."
What's the point/rational for L2 chargers? Do they expect leaf owners to hang out at the rest area for 3-4 hours to charge up? There's nothing that compelling planned for the new rest area. Have lunch, buy some booze, and you've spent an hour, tops.

They don't need destination charging. They need L3 charging for people travelling through. L2 stations are a waste, and probably won't get used. The only reason I can think of to do L2 charging is (a) they're too clueless to understand what they're doing, (b) it gets them LEED credits, or (c) it's some stupid PR move ("look, we're green, see!")

Right....this is why I haven't gotten my hopes up. This is a GAPING hole in the (currently non-existent) SC Network in New England.

I'm curious - do you have a name for your source?

I only started this thread because I have this quote (from our email correspondence) from David Smith, the engineer listed as the contact on the project.

The developer has come to agreement with Tesla for EV stations at the facilities and they are working to finalize the construction plans. The developer is continuing to work with a firm for universal charging stations and I hope that they can reach agreement.

That, combined with Todd's conversation, doesn't seem to leave much to doubt. Of course, until someone charges at a site, there is still uncertainty. I'm more interested in the CHADEMO, personally, but getting a functional Tesla station first will show EV demand.

regarding the Level 2 - there will be several restaurants on site. So, topping off on Level 2 (done by conscientious EV drivers after their bulk 80% charge on the quick chargers) would be an option. Plus, it is a emergency charge of last resort that is certainly better than a flat bed home.

Last edited:
Progress continues at the northbound Hooksett rest area:

• The liquor store moved to the new building by last Fri or Sat.
  • The porta-potties are gone, so the spots where some sort of chargers seem to be planned are now open.
  • This morning, about 1/3 of the old liquor store was left standing. By the end of the day, it was gone, with some rubble left.

• The porta-potties are gone, so the spots where some sort of chargers seem to be planned are now open.
  • This morning, about 1/3 of the old liquor store was left standing. By the end of the day, it was gone, with some rubble left.

Thanks for the update! Still no definitive confirmation that Tesla SCs will be in place thought, right? Anyone know who we can call? Very excited about this. It would make my weekend trips to Lincoln this winter much more enjoyable.

Seems odd to have a liquor store in a highway rest area. Doesn't that seem to promote drinking and driving ?!?!?!?!

Reactions: chjch