Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the Roadster do with steep driveways?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I happen to live in a home with a fairly steep driveway. It doesn't scrape my Honda Civic SI or any other car that has pulled into it, but others have expressed concern over the possibility. How does the Roadster do with steep entrances? What about the adjustable suspension - does that help? (I believe the adjustable suspension was sold as an option)

It's a low car, so yes it can get scraped on a steep driveway. I've done it a few times in parking lots entrances, but luckily nothing serious or visible.

The sport adjustable suspension can change firmness, not height.

I happen to live in a home with a fairly steep driveway. It doesn't scrape my Honda Civic SI or any other car that has pulled into it, but others have expressed concern over the possibility. How does the Roadster do with steep entrances? What about the adjustable suspension - does that help? (I believe the adjustable suspension was sold as an option)
It doesn't do it well, I can't get my roadster get up into my garage because of this.

Last edited:
Approach angle in the front is 11 degrees.
Departure angle in the rear (aka backing up) is 18 degrees.
Breakover angle in the middle is 12.7 degrees.

... I have a steep driveway entrance (a pretty excessive drainage ditch for the non-existent rain we get here in California), but I make it work with some sideways finagling that I'm sure the neighbors laugh at.

Approach angle in the front is 11 degrees.
Departure angle in the rear (aka backing up) is 18 degrees.
Breakover angle in the middle is 12.7 degrees.

... I have a steep driveway entrance (a pretty excessive drainage ditch for the non-existent rain we get here in California), but I make it work with some sideways finagling that I'm sure the neighbors laugh at.

Thanks for these numbers, I've tried the rear and front with out success, I really didn't attempt an sideways finagling yet.

Well, I drive a 2013 Civic SI currently which has 5.5" ground clearance (I'll measure it tonight to verify). I wonder if I could get away with a Roadster; I've never scraped my car on my driveway, but I don't want to buy a Roadster to find out that I can't park it in my driveway without destroying the underside.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I have the sedan, but this site says that the Civic SI Coupe has 5.1" of ground clearance: http://www.autoevolution.com/cars/honda-civic-coupe-si-2012.html#aeng_honda-civic-coupe-si-2012-24l-i-vtec

- - - Updated - - -

The Roadster has 5.12" of ground clearance according to here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4842-Ground-clearance

Well, I drive a 2013 Civic SI currently which has 5.5" ground clearance (I'll measure it tonight to verify). I wonder if I could get away with a Roadster; I've never scraped my car on my driveway, but I don't want to buy a Roadster to find out that I can't park it in my driveway without destroying the underside.

It's not just the clearance that signifies: it's the length and shape of the overhangs, and the wheelbase, too.
I'm pretty sure the Roadster's overhangs are shorter than a Civic.