Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New sub forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mentioned this back in 2012 but I'll reiterate - I really think TMC needs a few more subforums. One in particular called "Model S - Aftermarket mods". (And similarly in the future Model X, Gen 3, etc).

This could further be broken down into
- Tinting
- Wraps / ppf
- coatings
- Radar / laser
- Cameras
- Parking sensors / avoidance systems
- Wheels/Tires
- Audio (or Audio / Video with cameras included)
- Lighting
- Performance (this thread would probably be empty, except for Saleen if you consider their decal project "performance", lol). Actually a better name would be "Performance and Handling" as suspension upgrades might be legit. Though wheels/tires could be under here too.
- Racks / hitches / trailers
- Accessories (anything else, interior, car phone holders, center consoles, seats, license plates, dog blankets, etc).

I just really don't like how threads pertaining to these topics are scattered around the existing TMC under "model S" or " driving dynamics" or "user interface" or "interior and exterior". I think those are fine for stock / OEM threads but not aftermarket. It would really help to dedicate subforums to these topics as it would make a very easy goto place for people to go to instead of searching for various scattered posts and threads using the search tool.

Another one I'd like to see in a more general subforum is anything related to car washing and detailing which could apply to any car but obviously there's lots of these kinds of threads under Model S exterior for ppl wondering how to properly take car of their MS. Dunno about this one though bc there are forum sites dedicated to this like Autopia , detail world, etc. so maybe not so much this one but the aftermarket mods specific to Model S would be a great and probably popular subforum area.

Some thought would need to be given to this because it's probably better to have a general Aftermarket area with those topics but then maybe sub thread areas under some of those that may be specific to the Model S or Model X or Gen III etc.

Great idea on the Aftermarket subforum. I don't know if we need as many subsets under the general aftermarket heading because some items crossover categories, but it would be great just to start with the Aftermarket subforum and see how it goes.

There are so many sub forums that are needed ... so many things here are so hard to find ... the only suggestion I would make is a Supercharger forum ...

- Current locations under build
- Tips, etiquette and how to use them

I respectfully disagree and think more subforums would be a misfeature here. The more forums there are, the more ambiguity there is among the best places to post a given thread, and the more places you have to click each time you visit the site to keep tabs on things. It's a pretty big hindrance for people with broad interests. Can you imagine if you wanted to follow aftermarket options generally, and now all of a sudden you have to go into 12 different subforums to find the latest posts when you could otherwise scan them on a single page? Most of the subforums here don't have more than a single page of updated threads in a given day, so I don't see the organizational benefit. It's like having a doctors office with 1000 patients and 676 filing folders (AA, AB, AC, ..., BA, BB, BC)... at some point the organization itself becomes the cumbersome thing.

I respectfully disagree and think more subforums would be a misfeature here. The more forums there are, the more ambiguity there is among the best places to post a given thread, and the more places you have to click each time you visit the site to keep tabs on things. It's a pretty big hindrance for people with broad interests. Can you imagine if you wanted to follow aftermarket options generally, and now all of a sudden you have to go into 12 different subforums to find the latest posts when you could otherwise scan them on a single page? Most of the subforums here don't have more than a single page of updated threads in a given day, so I don't see the organizational benefit. It's like having a doctors office with 1000 patients and 676 filing folders (AA, AB, AC, ..., BA, BB, BC)... at some point the organization itself becomes the cumbersome thing.

Ok well maybe not sub-sub forums. But just one place "model s - aftermarket mods" would be nice...

Ok, then today ... how do you look for more information about the status of new superchargers on, let's say I-70? Where do you look?
Or a current hot topic ... web browser disabling in Hong Kong.
Sure you can subscribe to a thread ... until some *** starts a new thread about the exact same topic.
No, these forums are far too cluttered. They need more "structure" and new software ... this vbulletin stuff is so outdated ... no AJAX (automatic updating of onscreen stuff) ... and this is not an attack on the mods, it's the old software they chose / choose to use to run it.

this vbulletin stuff is so outdated ... no AJAX (automatic updating of onscreen stuff) ... and this is not an attack on the mods, it's the old software they chose / choose to use to run it.

I'm the last person to defend the slow and crappy software that is VB, but:

#1 VB does use AJAX. Perhaps not every where you'd like, but it does
#2 What does VB and their use of AJAX have anything to do with the topic or your specific complaints:

Ok, then today ... how do you look for more information about the status of new superchargers on, let's say I-70? Where do you look?
Sure you can subscribe to a thread ... until some *** starts a new thread about the exact same topic.
?

I'm the last person to defend the slow and crappy software that is VB, but:

#1 VB does use AJAX. Perhaps not every where you'd like, but it does
#2 What does VB and their use of AJAX have anything to do with the topic or your specific complaints:

?
#1 Where does it use AJAX?
#2 I was merely adding to my thoughts ... sooorrreee for being a bit off-topic.

#1 Where does it use AJAX?
#2 I was merely adding to my thoughts ... sooorrreee for being a bit off-topic.

Well for example, I hit reply with quote here and once I do (and hit Post Quick Reply), my post appears here without reloading. So, not AJAX in that new pages of content are loaded without refreshing (which would definitely speed things up), but it does sprinkle it in here and there.

And understood. It read as if you were saying using VB was the cause for clutter.

Well for example, I hit reply with quote here and once I do (and hit Post Quick Reply), my post appears here without reloading. So, not AJAX in that new pages of content are loaded without refreshing (which would definitely speed things up), but it does sprinkle it in here and there.

And understood. It read as if you were saying using VB was the cause for clutter.
I think I have to disagree - I just clicked Reply with quote, Post Quick Reply ... and it does refresh the screen. The reply panel is put there using Javascript, not AJAX.

I think I have to disagree - I just clicked Reply with quote, Post Quick Reply ... and it does refresh the screen. The reply panel is put there using Javascript, not AJAX.

This is a test.

*edit* did not refresh for me. The panel is revealed using javascript, but the post seems to be inserted into the page without a refresh assumedly by posting the data and getting back the info to display it on the page. Either way, not really a huge deal.

If this is implemented, I really think the organization should simply be:

Aftermarket Options
Aftermarket Options/Model S
Aftermarket Options/Model X
etc...

Take for example discussions on dash mounted cameras. If the specific thread was to talk about general features and why one camera is better than the others, that would go in the "top-level" forum. Once the discussion gets model specific (example: Where do I find always-on and switched power to connect to the camera? How do i route the wire run from the back camera and keep it hidden from sight? etc...), those discussions go into the model-specific sub forums.

Also, while the current forum layout works ok, because there is only one vehicle that is currently shipping, namely the Model S. Once Model X ships, similar changes might need to happen with most areas. For example, very few of the Battery & Charging discussions are in reality specific to the Model S. Discussions on installing the HPWC are common across all current and likely future vehicles, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to have that discussed just underneath the Model S. It currently works with the Model S and Roadster simply because of the charging system differences (physical connector differences, HPC vs. HPWC, supercharging not available on the Roadster, etc...). Once the Model X ships, I suspect that if the existing Model S hierarchy is replicated under the Model X forum, many duplicate conversations will be happening.

My first try would probably be Charging Standards and Infrastructure > North America
Probably Model S > User Interface. Then a search.

I think additional subforums makes this problem more difficult because it's that many more topics that a thread could be filed under. By nature of the schema, a thread can only belong to a single subforum, so if it touches on lots of different things, then people have to go clicking through all those potential things in order to find it.

If people would put things into the proper sections should they be created that would be a huge help. A lot of time is spent moving threads to the correct forum as it is. Adding more subforums might make more work.