Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saleen Foursixteen Video with sound from modified drivetrain.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is that it is an unintended consequence of their drivetrain gear modification and they are passing it off as a "feature."

It does have a unique sound; but, don't even like the more subtle balloon squeal noise made by my Tesla under hard acceleration. I prefer the sound of silence.

As tom66 said, they modified the drivetrain. In one of the videos they mention that they changed the way the teeth of one of the gears is cut in order to intentionally make that noise. I personally don't like it at all. The silence of my Model S is one of the greatest things about it.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is that it is an unintended consequence of their drivetrain gear modification and they are passing it off as a "feature."

It does have a unique sound; but, don't even like the more subtle balloon squeal noise made by my Tesla under hard acceleration. I prefer the sound of silence.

It wasn't unintentional. They intentionally made it sound this way.

As tom66 said, they modified the drivetrain. In one of the videos they mention that they changed the way the teeth of one of the gears is cut in order to intentionally make that noise. I personally don't like it at all. The silence of my Model S is one of the greatest things about it.

To me, this indicates Saleen is still catering to the same audience as for its Mustangs and other "muscle" cars.

Model S is a different kind of car and its customers have different expectations. Saleen best learn this quickly if they want to have a hope in hell of selling any.

I agree! I believe Saleen's primary goal was to change drive train gear ratio for added torque at lower speeds (that was the intended design change). The unintended result was the drive train sound. I'm guessing that if someone were to ask for the same Saleen gear ratio, but without the sound, it wouldn't be possible (at least not easily).

Agree that quiet is best, switchable between quiet and "RC electric motor" sound would be second best (an an interesting option to have) and sound only is least desirable.

Helical cut gears have their teeth cut at an angle, slanted eg., ///////// whereas straight cut gears are cut vertically eg., lllllllll

Helical cut gears have less backlash than straight cut gears and transfer power much better than straight cut gears. Well that is how they are sold in RC helicopter world :) I suspect this is true for full size versions too :)

Helical cut gears have their teeth cut at an angle, slanted eg., ///////// whereas straight cut gears are cut vertically eg., lllllllll

Helical cut gears have less backlash than straight cut gears and transfer power much better than straight cut gears. Well that is how they are sold in RC helicopter world :) I suspect this is true for full size versions too :)

Thank you for that info

I like what they did to the nose and seats. The colors... well, I'm sure they are customizable. The sound was interesting as well, but would prolly 'grind my gears' if I had to live with it.

In short; if I had the inclination, I'd take a partial modification but not all.