Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPC changing to 63A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two days ago I purchased a new HPC.

As I understand the HPC's normally have an input of 70 A. As I would like to connect it to 63 A, I ve been told that you can change the HPC to 63 A. Do I need to go to Tesla or can I do it myself?

Thank you

If you are reverring to the HPWC, then there are dip switches that you can set. choices are 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 for the breaker size.

No. I am talking about the Roadster HPC!
No way to do it myself?

If it is the Clipper Creek TS-70 that was sold by Tesla with their name on it, no it is not programmable IIRC. You would have to send it back to Clipper Creek to have them modify the pilot. Try calling Clipper Creek and see if they can advise you how to modify the EVSE.

Owners Manual

Does it look like this:
51147833-a71e-4066-bb1a-780137d78ed52.JPG

or does it look like this:
chargingSolutions_high_main4_large.jpg

The top one is the original version, which has a little (very, very small) dial inside that allows you to select the amperage.

Supersnoop, it is the lower one. Wasn't that the original one?

Living in Switzerland, I guess they would not send me the equipment. So I guess I go to the Tesla store?
No, the lower one is the Clipper Creek version. It does not seem to be configurable.

I'm not sure I understand your equipment question. What equipment do you think you need from the Tesla store?

Are you sure supersnoop? In the Tesla store Switzerland they always had only the lower one.

There seems to be a possibility to change the firmware in the HPC. So I would need the firmware and a machine to load the firmware to the HPC
I own the top one. It has a tiny dial inside that allows you to limit the current. The lower one is currently available from Tesla and the documentation does not show any way to limit the current. However, you seem to be able to order it from Tesla (Shop Tesla Gear Roadster High Power Wall Connector) in a variety of breaker ratings, so it might be configurable with firmware.

Are you sure supersnoop? In the Tesla store Switzerland they always had only the lower one.

The upper one in supersnoop's picture is the original one, made by Tesla. That one is what I received ahead of taking delivery of my Signature 100 Roadster #33 in October, 2008. The switch to the Clipper Creek unit occurred before deliveries to EU began.

I have the Clipper Creek one also - the lower one. I needed to lower my limit also, and emailed Clipper Creek. They did it for free, as long as I paid for shipping to and from them. But they need the PC board from inside the unit in order to make the change.

I have the Clipper Creek as well. I got it with my CPO Roadster about a year ago and it only charge at 63 amps max, too. It was wired and installed correctly by my electrician.

I didn't think much of it because I hardly ever charge above 30 amps, but still would like full advertised amperage for those rare times I need a faster charge. I know Clipper Creek can reprogram these and I think they just send over a USB module or something to do so in exchange for shipping costs (including return shipping). I'll send an email off to Clipper Creek. They're a good company with solid products.

I finally followed up with Clipper Creek on my issue. I sent them pictures of the labels on the unit and found on the outside of the unit, it read TS-70 and 64 amps, but the inside label said the configuration was TS-90. I have some pictures of this if anyone is interested, but I'm not going to bother posting for now.

Here is their reply. They are a really great company with solid products and excellent customer service:

Our original configuration was as a TS-90 with up to 72A charging. Tesla then modified the configuration to a TS-70 with 64A charging. We can reconfigure your circuit board for 70A charging. Before doing so, you should be certain that your breaker and service wiring are installed for the higher amp charging. That would be with a 90A breaker and appropriately sized 75C service wire.

If the breaker and wiring is already in place, you can send your circuit board in to us to configure for 70A charging. We would provide this service free of charge, but you would pay for the shipping back to you. We are in Auburn, CA. We can turn around the board the same day we receive it, so you would be without it for just the time it takes to ship it back and forth.

There's much difference between 70 and 63 amp charging, and I honestly usually charge at 30 amps to be easier on the grid and my panel, but I'm going to do the reconfiguration anyway. I have the wiring and breakers in place and I'd like to have the full capability should I ever need it.

The HPC can be changed by Tesla over here. When we rolled out the UK HPC network Tesla were going to limit them to 60A due to misunderstanding the IEC standard. When I convinced them otherwise, the guys in London just flashed them to 70A with a laptop.

Mitrovic I hope this isn't the same issue recurring. The standard says that 70A on single phase is acceptable, it's three phase that should be 63A (hence Tesla setting 60A as the next step on Clipper Creek's scale is 64A).