Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM "Supercruise" in 2017, hands free freeway driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
Surprised no one has posted this yet. I read a story yesterday where GM apparently said they would be the "first" company to produce a car that did this, in two years. I couldn't find that same story, but here is the LA Times coverage:

GM will introduce hands-free, foot-free driving in 2017 Cadillac - LA Times

Do you hear that Tesla, GM is going to take the lead in autonomous freeway driving :wink:

RT

Wouldn't this require every car to be compatible?

I've been participating in a USDOT-funded pilot study testing V2V technology for a couple of years now that involves most of the major auto manufacturers (although it was not tied in to the cruise control during the six months that I got to drive one of the test vehicles -- I just got collision-avoidance alerts).

One of the things they have been testing are aftermarket add-ons. One of them is a passive transponder that does not interact with the driver (that's what I have in my regular car now) -- it is anticipated that when the system gets rolled out, there would be an insurance incentive to install it since it would still be less likely to get in an accident. The other system is integrated in to an aftermarket GPS that would provide re-routing information in the event of an accident, and provide collision-avoidance alerts.

I was at the press conference when they launched the study; at that time, the US Secretary of Transportation was ducking questions about a possible rule-making to require the installation of the aftermarket systems by saying that the research was then at such an early stage that it was premature to discuss rule-makings.