Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glovebox won't close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got in my MS this morning (it had been sitting a few days in the garage, plugged in). Popped open the glovebox to look for something, and now it won't close. The actuator can be heard when the button is pressed -- sounds normal.. just the door won't stay closed. Got to my destination, and tried again, still no go. Did a "Power off" and even with the power off, the glovebox light stays on when open. Also, the globebox is empty, so there's nothing getting in the way of the latch, which I'm assuming is magnetic.

I searched the forum but didn't find anything other than the glovebox not opening, but has anyone heard of this? I'd hate to waste the time to go to the SC just to get this addressed.

Someone else had this on the Tesla forum (which is unsearchable unfortunately). The button itself was the culprit. IIRC it was slightly misaligned which meant that it was constantly pushing against the microswitch. You could check that, otherwise call the SC...

I remember a thread about this a long time ago where it has something to do with the latch part that is on the door itself, not the motorized part. Basically there are two tabs that stick out from the door that are somehow spring-loaded and sometimes they gets stuck in the "in" position. I think if you play with it to get it to pop back out, it might fix the problem.

I took a look. The left side latch (first pic) seems pushed in and I couldn't get it "unstuck". The right side doesn't seem to have a latch at all -- it's empty space. The second photo is the unlocking mechanism on the side of the door opening. Nobody else drives my car, so I know nobody broke it unintentionally. Very strange.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 1,104
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    394.7 KB · Views: 1,068
Hank:

Check this thread out:

Glove box latch failure

...been there, done that. FWIW, I was having repeated issues, so my service center replaced the whole assembly.

Ditto. I had a tissue or piece of paper lodged in there once. Same thing where pushing the button you could here the click but it wouldn't unlock. Trying to pry it down gently didn't work either (and would likely snap the latches if pulled hard enough). There are two latches, one on each side. I can't remember which one was stuck for me but a wiggling a small screwdriver around on one side popped it out and I was able to unlock it.

Got in my MS this morning (it had been sitting a few days in the garage, plugged in). Popped open the glovebox to look for something, and now it won't close. The actuator can be heard when the button is pressed -- sounds normal.. just the door won't stay closed. Got to my destination, and tried again, still no go. Did a "Power off" and even with the power off, the glovebox light stays on when open. Also, the globebox is empty, so there's nothing getting in the way of the latch, which I'm assuming is magnetic.

I searched the forum but didn't find anything other than the glovebox not opening, but has anyone heard of this? I'd hate to waste the time to go to the SC just to get this addressed.

Happened to me tonight. I noticed the right side of the door just had a hole where the left had the pin sticking out. I poked around and realized there is a pin on the right side, too, but it had become dislodged inside the door. I was able to pull it back over/out to the hole with a mini screwdriver. Hope this helps.

Happened to me tonight. I noticed the right side of the door just had a hole where the left had the pin sticking out. I poked around and realized there is a pin on the right side, too, but it had become dislodged inside the door. I was able to pull it back over/out to the hole with a mini screwdriver. Hope this helps.

Yeah,thanks. We figured it out in the posts right above yours (from 2014), and this even older post: Glove box latch failure

Any bets on model 3 not having an electrically actuated globebox release?

This is an easy case where simpler (less tech) is more reliable ... just have a mechanical latch release pushbutton like most every other car.

But then Tesla couldn't do the fancy valet mode that "locks" the glovebox... granted. But if someone wants into the glovebox... they're getting in. Locked or not, just takes a solid yank with no tools... you're in. Plastic hinges aren't helping either.