Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario rebate - 12 weeks (and counting) normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi gang,

I took delivery 12 weeks ago. My ontario rebate still has not arrived. Anyone else buy recently had have similar or different experiences? I'm attempting to figure out what is normal. It should not take a quarter of a year for the government to hand over cash. But I realize "should" and "government" are two oxymoronic words in the context of that sentence :)

I emailed my applications (the EV one and the charging one) on Dec 24 and got both my rebates via direct deposit on Feb 6 (6 weeks including the Christmas break). I suggest calling Service Ontario. The people who answer the phones don't seem to know much about it, but they'll take your info and call you back with an update.

Hmmm sounds like I'm definitely suffering at the long end of spectrum. 12 weeks and counting. I'll have to make the call to Service Ontario as suggested. I've reached out to the guy who submitted the application for me at Tesla, but no reply yet. At least they take care of the paperwork!

Hmmm sounds like I'm definitely suffering at the long end of spectrum. 12 weeks and counting. I'll have to make the call to Service Ontario as suggested. I've reached out to the guy who submitted the application for me at Tesla, but no reply yet. At least they take care of the paperwork!

Hopefully Tesla actually submitted the applications. I checked with them 10 days after delivery and they still hadn't done it so I sent them in myself.

Mine took a little over 3 months as well. I finally had to call the Ministry of Finance at 1-866-668-8297 (as shown on the Electric Vehicle Incentive Program application). It took a couple of weeks after I enquired, but it finally appeared in my bank account. I never did receive an official notification.

To add insult to injury, you can't receive the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive until you have been approved for the vehicle incentive, and if you don't read the form carefully, it looks like you can't APPLY until the first is approved, which doesn't seem to be the case. At any rate, they at first disallowed my charging incentive rebate because I ordered the HPWC from Tesla over the internet (naturally), and they took the date of order as the date of purchase and said that because I waited until the vehicle incentive was approved to submit the second set of paperwork, it was two days over the six month time limit!

After a couple of loooong conversations with the good folk at the Ministry of Transportation, and sending in the courier paperwork showing the HPWC wasn't actually received until a week after the order, they finally relented and approved the second charging grant. Lesson learned: read the paperwork carefully, don't delay in following up, and keep your paper trail.

I'd suggest sending in both applications separately but on the same day, as soon as you can after delivery. The documents say you can't apply for the charging rebate until you have received the vehicle rebate, but as you say, that's not how it really works. You can't RECEIVE the charging rebate until you RECEIVE the EV rebate, but if you send them in one right after the other, they'll process them together. And scanning all the required documents and emailing them worked well for me and I got my rebates in 6 weeks.

I wonder if the people processing the rebates were told to put them all on hold before the Ontario election, since the PCs were planning to cancel them if elected. They put MicroFIT solar power project approvals on hold for the same reason. If that happened, it could explain a longer backlog since then.